I have heard some feedback that GitcoinDAO needs to focus further on decentralization. That because of its roots as a company, that it is too susceptable to fall back into corporate modes of action and needs to decondition from that mode of thinking. That it needs to prepare itself for a future as a full ProtocolDAO.
If this is important to a wide cross-section of stakeholders in the DAO, I would like to encourage the DAO to come up with an essential intent around decentralization.
Doing so would get these conversations out in the open, help the DAO align on what aspects of its operations are important to decentralize and on what time preference + help me adjust my GTC voting delegations to fall in line with the essential intent.
If the DAO wants decentralization, the DAO should define it and ratify it as an essential intent. This will let everyone know what the guardrails are.
A few prompts:
- What is the purpose of decentralization?
- What layers of decentralization matter?
- Decentralization of governance power?
- Decentralization of computation?
- Decentralization of development?
- Decentralization of economics (if any)?
- Decentralization of stress?
- Decentralization of accountability?
- What are your expectations of GTC holders?
- I have tried to be transparent about my delegations and encouraged others to as well. I have also publicly stated that I intend for no one steward to be above 10% of my delegations once Grants 2 launches. [link].
- What are your special expectations for large holders of GTC like ppl who got a large retro airdrop, people who have contributed for years like myself, other co-founders, and Consensys/Paradigm? How might those parties engage in a fair, transparent, + positive sum way in DAO governance?
- What are your expectations of supermodular.xyz (formerly Gitcoin Holdings)?
- I have tried to be forthright in overcommunicating my plan to decentralize the stuff w3e used to do for the DAO. What else can we do?
- In Hello supermodular.xyz 🎉 and Hello supermodular.xyz (fka web3studio) 👾 we articulated our new brand / direction. How does this fit?
- What is the role of CSDO over time? How could workstreams be further decentralized over time?
- On what time frame can/should various aspects of decentralization happen? Grants 2 is scheduled to rollout over the next several quarters, but what about other vectors of decentralization?
- How is the governance system evolving at GitcoinDAO? How does it compare to other governance structures that are evolving in the ecosystem?
Special thanks to @kevin.olsen @lthrift @DisruptionJoe @annika @krrisis @Pop for stimulating this post with their feedback, debates, thoughts, and ideas over the last several quarters. And thanks @kyle for stimulating these conversations in your own way.