The objective of this post is to describe an MVP of “better impact funding” enabled by a combo move of a few diff communities I’m involved with, and also how to achieve Greenpill.network && Gitcoin-alignment.
- What is Gitcoin Grants Stack? Gitcoin Grants Stack is a toolset for doing Capital allocation for community by community.
- What are Hypercerts? Hypercerts are impact tracking NFTs. Think of them as “Carbon Credits, but (1) on-chain & (2) for any impact vector”.
- What is Greenpill.network? Greenpill.network is a network-society that exports regenerative digital infrastructure to the world, with active local chapters in 15 locations worldwide (India, Colorado, Japan, Suriname, West Africa, etc)
Hypercerts are impact tracking NFTs. Think of them as “Carbon Credits, but (1) on-chain & (2) for any impact vector”. You could have a hypercert for
- Walking 10 little old ladies across the st.
- Feeding 10 unhoused people.
- Cleaning up 10 lbs of trash.
- Planting 10 trees.
- Taking 10 tons of carbon out of the atmosphere.
Hypercerts (made by our frens at Protocol Labs) are a powerful primitive for tracking impact (and maybe eventually financializing that impact down the line).
Mint a Hypercert here:
Arent hypercerts purdy?
IMO Hypercerts could eventually revolutionize impact funding. What if instead of spending ⅔ of their time running a giant grant application operation, NGOs and impact focused projects could just mint hypercerts for when they do good + be rewarded when Impact Funders purchase them! The goal is Impact = Profit and itd be HUGE for impact alignment
My vision medium term is to integrate hypercerts into Gitcoin Grants Stack, such that when you’re browsing a grants round you can see how much provable on-chain tracked impact a Grant has!
This would help shift Gitcoin Grants funder contribution decisions in Retroactive Public Goods Funding Rounds from “gut feel, I like this grant” based decisions to “this project has x provable impact, and I’m weighting that highly in my decision”. Remembering, Repeating and Working-Through
Yay for more rational decisions with trackable provenance!!!
The above software is going to be built soon(™), but near term I propose that Greenpill Chapters start doing work in the areas of
- Local educational work, eg building their local meetups or hosting regen educational programs.
- Local humanitarian work, eg feeding the unhoused or skills based educational programs.
- Local environmental work, eg web3beach style trash cleanups + planting trees, etc.
And capturing lots of pictures + testimonials of their work, which will be uploaded into Hypcerts. Once the Grants Stack integration is done, we will be doing QF rounds with the Hypercerts displayed, but in the near term Owocki will agree to purchase the hypercerts directly off the Greenpill chapters! I have $3k in initial funding set up to purchase hypercerts + plan to raise more on a rolling basis in the future.
In an effort to amplify local impact, I’d be interested in seeing local Greenpill.network chapters do their own QF rounds to activate members of their own local community towards creating Impact.
Here is what the flow of funds at scale could look like:
As more & more rounds are operated, the value creation by the greenpill.network would begin to grow iteratively over time (every quarter):
To do so, we would recruit 3-5 chapter leads and run them through a “Gitcoin QF Street Team Training Cohort”, which would comprise of
Tutorials on how to use the software.
Training on the logistics of operating a round.
Training on how to market the round.
People who pass the course will receive:
Some initial funding to run a small round.
A “Gitcoin QF Street Team Round Operator” certification NFT.
Opportunities to earn $$$ to run Gitcoin rounds.
Opportunities to earn $$$ to train future Gitcoin QF Street Teams.
To seed the network I could commit tobe running quarterly $5k greenpill rounds for chapters that are
Spending 80%+ of their funds on impact
Local educational work, eg building their local meetups or hosting regen educational programs.
Local humanitarian work, eg feeding the unhoused or skills based educational programs.
Local environmental work, eg web3beach style trash cleanups + planting trees, etc.
- 20% 80
- Fundraising 101: Tips from the Team | Gitcoin Blog
- Considerations for Marketing a Community-Led Grants Round | Gitcoin Blog
- Identifying High Potential Grantees | Gitcoin Blog
- Metacamp Micro-QF Round Wrap-Up/Review 🌊
- One-Pager on how Gitcoin Grants Stack can help you build an ecosystem growth flywheel
- Round Manager Explanations
All of this is tentative/.
- $5k Greenpill QF round
- $3k in Hypercerts buy backs
- TBD Greenpill QF Round
- TBD in Hypercert buy backs
- Ideally this can be done on the new Hypcerts-enabled Grants stack!
- We’ll do a podcast episode about our impact.
Learn, Evolve, Grow, Repeat until Impact = Profit worldwide
Who’s doing the ___? ___
- Hypercerts tech buildout: Raid Guild
- Funding this all: Owocki’s NewCo
- Gitcoin Street Team
- Teacher: Owocki + Guest Lecturers
- Scheduling: Carey
- Artwork for graduation NFT: Octavian
- Writing a “How to QF guide”? Owocki + Gitcoin has already written some too.
The above projects are bold experiments in creating better impact funding. Success is not Guaranteed!
We will be taking a leap of faith together. By learning to cope with this uncertainty, trust each other, sensing risks/rewards, and generally coordinate with each other, we can make them successful.
We can only do it if we all choose to coordinate.