(this is v0 of endgame. there will be further iterations )
In chess and other similar games, the endgame is the stage of the game after the middlegame. The endgame begins when a few pieces are left on the board. From Wikipedia
One thing that I’ve heard from many people, in and out of Gitcoin, for the last few months is that there isn’t an agreed upon path to success for Gitcoin that everyone is aligned on. It seems to me it’s not clear to everyone what Gitcoin’s endgame is.
Asking “What is Gitcoin’s endgame?” means asking “what is the realistic vision, strategy, and roadmap going forward?”.
I would like to challenge the community to engage in constructive dialogue about Gitcoin’s vision, roadmap, & endgame. Articulating an endgame means working backwards from what success looks like and also forwards from where Gitcoin is now. By collectively sensemaking, we will chart a course towards success by 2030. We will collectively grasp the elephant. And we will articulate to the market what the path forward is.
I have my own thoughts on these topics. I (in consultation with Kyle and other stakeholders in the DAO) will be likely releasing document(s) that describes what we think the mid game (next 1-2 years) and endgame are (after that, 3-10 years).
But I do not want to unveil them yet. It is important to me that this process is bottoms-up & I want everyone who is a stakeholder in the DAO to have an invite to contribute to this discussion unmoored by my own /others thinking. I would welcome anyone else in the community to also create such an artifact and share it.
With that in mind, I would like to challenge the community to a writing exercise. What do you think the endgame plan for Gitcoin is? Perhaps you only see a part of it, I think submissions that articulate the endgame for a smaller/autonomous portion of the DAO are good too!
To me a good endgame plan is:
- Values aligned
- Maximizing the accomplishment of Gitcoins mission
- Will create financial sustainability (ideally financial thriving) in support of realizing Gitcoin’s mission
- Nuanced & Comprehensive - it considers multiple perspectives, seperates concerns & considers tradeoffs between them
- Will mean ultimately decentralizing or ossifying Gitcoin.
- Will be ratified by governance eventually.
But the following caveats apply:
- Others may have other value sets and criteria for what a “good” endgame plan is. And thats okay (actually its desirable).
- Some of these things are of course in dynamic tension with one another. That is the fun part
Please comment below or DM me if youd like to participate. I’d love to read submissions from diverse parts of the community towards the mid/end of September.