This is a renewal proposal for the DAO Ops workstream requesting budgetary funds for Season 14 (May 1, 2022 through July 31, 2022). Revised on May 10, 2022.
DAO Operations (or DAO Ops) was formalized as a workstream with a passing Snapshot vote on January 19, 2022 during Season 13 (S13). In Season 14 (S14), we would like to continue building this workstream to lead by example and in service of the DAO and workstreams. This means, though we operate as an independent workstream like all others, we take direction from the workstreams, and offer non-binding best practices, support, and guidance, with a strong focus on operational needs. Our initiatives this season are Accounting, Community Experience, Community Governance, Dao Tooling/DevOps, People Ops and User Support.
As one of the newer workstreams, DAO Ops continues to grow with the aim of operationalizing GitcoinDAO with the consent of each structured workstream. To accomplish that goal, in S13, DAO Ops moved quickly on several fronts, including:
- supporting greater stewardship participation through experimentation with governance incentive structures (i.e., Steward Council),
- forming the Gitcoin Foundation,
- augmenting and scaling our shared tools and resources,
- hiring critical contributors (including co-workstream lead and 2 new People Ops team mates), and
- facilitating important cross-stream tactical and strategic meetings/retreats (think the Gitcoin Retreat, CSDO, and leadership retreat).
Though there is much more to do, we are making significant progress in setting GitcoinDAO on the path of operational excellence (1).
Update: For S14, we request $948k USD or 276k GTC (inclusive of 60-days of reserves and S13 budget rollover(1). This request also includes a $26k reduction over the original S14 request, assuming the scaled back release of the coaching and professional development initiative ratified by CSDO in S13.
(1) Note: The GTC total will be adjusted based on the current market value at the time this proposal is moved to Snapshot and to Tally. The vote will be to send $ in GTC at the current price when moved to Tally or the 20 day moving average (whichever is lower).
In its inaugural season, DAO Ops set the following objectives and outcomes: through the below summary you can read more on how we evaluate our own performance of this past season.
|Initiative||Objectives||EoQ Outcomes/Lessons Learned|
|Accounting||Payments within this workstream happen within 21 days of service being performed (net 21).||On track - FDD and DAO Ops payments are averaging 3-4 business days.|
|Budgeting templates are well received and adopted by the majority of workstreams.||In process - The budgeting template is currently used by FDD, DAO Ops, and MMM. Moonshot Collective and other workstreams will be trained throughout S14. The biggest constraint in training is the size of Accounting, which is currently represented by 1 core contributor.|
|Monthly financial reporting is available and shared with outside contributors (i.e., Llamas).||On track - FDD and DAO Ops’ workstream reporting is up to date and transparent. Llamas provides monthly DAO-wide treasury diversification reports via the governance forum.|
|Community Experience||Users are not confused when interacting within the GitcoinDAO ecosystem (Notion, Discord, forum and other entry points), and can easily find initiatives and squads to contribute to.||On Track - This season, community experience made updates to Notion that improved navigability. In addition, the team integrated more levels on Discord, and updated the Gitcoin website.|
|Onboarding is a streamlined process with clearly defined entry points both on the overall level & workstream level.||Not on Track - The bi-weekly onboarding calls create a safe space, and the Notion homepage helps new users find entry points (i.e., weekly community events). However, potential Gitcoiners still experience friction in 1) applying through the new contributor onboarding flow and 2) connecting to workstreams as contributors. The problem spaces will be investigated during S14.|
|Workstream leads are complimentary of CSDO interactions and governance.||On track - CSDO is up and running. DAO Ops will continue to make improvements to the flow of the meeting and overall transparency based on feedback and needs of workstream leads and Stewards.|
|Processes are streamlined to ensure regular sync calls (i.e. CSDO, community experience call, team demos, and hangouts) are effective and productive.||On track - DAO Ops will continue to iterate on processes based on feedback from the community.|
|Community Governance||Ensure 75% of the top 15 stewards are engaged and able to hold workstreams accountable to outcomes.||On track - In S13, DAO Ops launched the Stewards Council to highlight and promote active and engaged stewards. This initiative will be improved further in S14 (see below).|
|Ensure stewards feel informed of key information to guide their voting and interaction.||On Track - This season, DAO Ops reformatted the monthly Stewards calls with deeper involvement of the various workstream leads, giving clear and concise updates. Also the dao’s weekly newsletter has become a useful tool in informing Stewards.|
|Ensure a quarterly / season update cadence of the report cards.||On track - Metrics in report cards were optimized, so DAO Ops can assess which Stewards can be in the Stewards Council.|
|People Ops||Ensure 75% of DAO contributors who contribute more than 30 hours a week have had a 360 review.||In process - Approximately 50% of DAO and soon-to-be DAO contributors were onboarded on the peer review process during S13. People Ops also made significant progress supporting workstreams in role documentation, which is an important preceding step to peer review.|
|Roll out a conflict resolution program that helps at least three workstreams.||On track - So far, 5+ conflicts were managed by People Operations.|
|Provide guidance on job description and roles thereby improving how 5+ people work.||On track - People Ops implemented a role documentation process which has been adopted by 3 DAO workstreams. DAO Ops is continuing to work with the Sobol team to address technical issues that have delayed DAO-wide progress|
|User Support||User questions are responded to within 24 hours.||Not on track - Response times in Discord are on track, but email responses are not available during the weekend. The S14 OKRs have been adjusted to accurately reflect the team’s availability and the weekday response accountability will be communicated to email support users.|
|NPS of experience with support is >7.||Not on track - The User Support team isn’t receiving sufficient measurable feedback on the community’s support experience. In S14, the team will work on a new approach to increase feedback, including the potential for a revamped ticketing system.|
|Knowledge base is up to date and is used by the community||In process - In addition to the commitments mapped below, User Support will continue to edit dated knowledge base posts.|
|Regulatory Considerations (2)||DAO entity guidance is delivered in Q1||Complete - Foundation formation vote has passed and DAO negotiations with Holdings will be completed in S14.|
|Workstream guidance is delivered in Q1||In process - Engaging with WorkDAO and Opolis to help guide and limit liability for WS and WS leads. These functions will be taken over by People Ops in S14.|
|Ongoing questions are answered within 3 business days||On Track - Questions are answered within 3 business days.|
(2) Note: With the formation of the Foundation and the scaling of other legal functions within People Ops, this initiative will be discontinued in S14.
Over the next season DAO Ops will pursue the following activities, objectives, and key results in service of our fellow DAO workstreams:
|Budget Category||Assumptions||Amount USD||Amount GTC||Change from Original Budget|
|General Ops||General fund for cross-stream and team events and meetings. Also includes 2 core contributors/workstream leads.||$95,100||27,725|
|Accounting||Includes 2 core contributors, consulting expenses for DAO Ops treasury diversification costs, and a hold for a future CFO/Treasury Management Lead hire.||$83,100||24,227||-$6k|
|Community Experience||Includes 1 core contributor, strategic planning (external consulting), and a hold for a future Community Lead hire.||$67,500||19,679|
|Community Governance||Includes 1 core contributor and a hold for a future scribe to support Steward Council and other governance meetings.||$53,550||15,612|
|DevOps/DAO Tooling||Includes 2 contributors and tooling expenses.||$60,000||17,492|
|People Operations||Includes 4 core contributors, and reserves for two new initiatives (i.e., employee legal services and coaching/professional development).||$132,128||38,521||-$20k|
|User Support||Includes 3 core contributors and a hold for a Support Lead hire in S14.||$56,930||16,597|
|Original S14 Total||$634,308||x|
|Current treasury balance||($66,000)||x|
|Amount Requested from Treasury||$947,846||*276k (3)|
(3) Note: Based on a spot price of $3.43 USD as of 5/10/2022.
Develop sustainable DAO-wide treasury strategy and scale accounting operations ensuring timely payments and treasury diversification within workstreams - 24k GTC ($83.1k)
- Hire a Treasury Lead or Fractional CFO by the end of S14.
- Consult Grants 2.0, Moonshot Collective, and Public Goods Funding during S14 to understand accounting needs, and train accounting contributors to support payments and accounting.
- Publish guidance for multisig safes and payments wallet maintenance processes.
- Payments within DAO Ops happen within 10 days of service being performed (net 10).
- Train payment leads in various workstreams on how to create reporting systems.
- Ensure that supported workstreams have payment and accounting tools that are integrated into workstream processes.
- Create guidance for diversification to inform and inspire the other workstreams.
Streamline contributor onboarding process with clearer entry points, support CSDO, and set high standard for community management - 19.7k GTC ($67.5k)
- Deploy updated intake form based on WS feedback.
- Roll out a new contributor survey or community experience working group to update the onboarding process.
- 50% of new core contributors come through the DAO onboarding flow.
- Create regular syncs with the hiring manager & talent coordinators.
- Increase transparency by reporting on CSDO decisions through the weekly newsletter, contributor calls and work on other forms of documentation.
- Organize and monitor moderation of channels, educate and manage community managers
- Hire Community Management Lead.
Support steward participation via enhanced information flow - 15.6k GTC ($53.5k)
- Ensure 75% of the top 14 stewards are engaged and able to hold workstreams accountable to outcomes; continue to evaluate who should be in the Steward Council and how they are incentivized.
- Each quarterly workstream budget is reviewed in-depth by at least two Stewards.
- Create self-assessing workstream report cards for insight into performance by mid-S14.
- Create a treasury dashboard for broader transparency on budget impact and treasury health in close collaboration by the end of S14.
- Ensure stewards are informed with key information to guide their voting and interaction.
- Introduce timekeeping, one representative per workstream, and 80/20 constructive discussion to monthly and bi-weekly steward calls.
- Standardize quarterly budget review process for greater insight into previous and current treasury impacts.
Improve community tooling, increase community adoption, service DAO infrastructure, and provide enhanced security - 17.5k GTC ($60k)
- Develop clear guides and host live training sessions for all tools used by core contributors and new joiners.
- 80% of core contributors are made aware of and provide feedback on DAO-wide tooling.
- Create a plan that lays out a security road map for the next year by the end of the quarter.
- Respond to all infrastructure service requests within 24 hours.
- Help to prepare a smooth transition of infrastructure from Holdings to the DAO.
- Create metrics and monitoring that helps us to maintain a 90% up time.
- Prepare a ceramic node template that can be used multiple times.
Improve the hiring experience, and provide clear, accessible People Ops guidance; Scale the peer review and role documentation to support additional contributors - 38.5k GTC ($132k)
- Build out and communicate the People Ops Hub on Notion from which workstreams can find existing program guides and other resources.
- Develop well-researched compensation, work contracts, and parental leave policies.
- Support core contributors in the selection of professional development programs to follow individually or to run within their workstream.
- Ensure all people coming from Holdings easily find their place within the DAO.
- Partner with WorkDAO and Opolis to provide core contributors with jurisdiction-specific legal, benefits, and payroll support.
- Ensure 75% of DAO contributors who contribute more than 20 hours a week have had a peer review.
- Create a clear to use and technically smooth role documentation framework.
Rebuild the user support team and improve its performance - 16.5k GTC ($57k)
- Hire a User Support Lead contributor.
- Launch user support office hours to retrain the team in user support principles and Gitcoin products (i.e., grants, bounties, kudos, etc.).
- Reorganize the evaluation and payment logic for the User Support team.
- Host GR14 user support planning sessions with FDD and Grants Ops with User Support Lead and existing team.
- Respond to all user questions (tickets and email) within 24 hours during the work week.
- Update or create 30 Gitcoin Support Knowledge Base entries by mid S14.
Our OKRs were adapted and summarized for the purpose of communicating key commitments to the DAO. For the full list of our objectives and key results, please navigate here.
Workstream Leads - Kris Decoodt and Jodi Callender
Accounting Lead - Chris Dean
Community Experience Lead - Kris Decoodt
Onboarding Lead - Mitzy
Community Governance - Simona Pop
DevOps - Nick Kammerdiener
DAO Tooling - Puncar
People Ops Lead - Loie Taylor
People Ops Support - Kyle Weiss
People Ops Team Member - Sandy S.
Hiring Coordinator - Safder Raza
User Support Coordinator - Bob Jiang
User Support Team Member - Yuki Ling
Community Management Lead - to be hired
Cross-Team Scribe - to be hired
Treasury Management Lead - to be hired
User Support Lead - to be hired
Building on the successes and lessons learned in S13, we anticipate that the initiatives and commitments we make in S14 will set up our team and the DAO for long-term success. We cannot predict the future, but we have big dreams for GitcoinDAO and in collaboration with our fellow workstreams, will continue to scale existing initiatives to meet the needs of the DAO. Some examples of the DAO-wide objectives and commitments we hope to tackle in S15 are described in the table below:
|Initiatives||Potential S15 Objectives||Potential Commitments|
|Community Experience||Streamline the onboarding process for new contributors to the DAO.||Increase engagement on Discord|
|Set a high-level standard of DAO-wide community management.||Align and train community managers in various workstreams and core contributors on best practices.|
|Accounting||Develop a sustainable financial strategy that supports GitcoinDAO’s mission and contributors over the long-term.||Develop a financial strategy that balances treasury needs (maximize liquidity vs growth)|
|Present regular, high-quality reports to GitcoinDAO stewards and contributors, including a quarterly treasury diversification and performance update to the workstream leads & stewards.|
|User Support||Provide professional user support on our various platforms.||Build out a social media support program.|
|Rebuild and empower the user support team||Train and mentor highly skilled, remote-first team contributors with clear roles and responsibilities|