This proposal aims to introduce a new Workstream (WS) called Gitcoin Discovery within the Gitcoin DAO. The Workstream will be responsible for decentralizing and improving the Gitcoin Quests, which will become dQuests, through the Gitcoin Knowledge Base, which will become dKnowledge.
Built on a decentralized infrastructure, dQuests is a gamified platform where users will be able to progress through various types of quests—like quizzes, code challenges, and on-chain transactions—gaining the ability to verify their diverse skillsets (see initial prototype - HackFS Hackathon Finale live demo).
- dKnowledge will contain educational information and FAQs about the Gitcoin ecosystem, Web3 projects, and technologies. The content within the Knowledge Base will be used to populate quest preparation materials.
- By successfully completing a quest, users will be able to:
- earn XPs and increase their ranking
- mint Quest & Badge NFTs with a random rarity
- and grow their Dynamic Skill Tree NFT by validating their learnings and actions through on-chain micro-credentials.
Getting started in Web3 is difficult because the information needed to overcome the steep learning curve is:
Gitcoin Discovery will be a community-driven, learning platform for onboarding and engaging users & developers into Web3.
In order to provide high-quality courses built around open source, trustable and verifiable content, members of the Web3 projects will collaborate with community experts in various fields such as:
- content creation
- development & infrastructure
- research and security
As the Gitcoin DAO expands, we believe there are 3 main problems that need to be solved:
- Aggregating ever-growing but scattered information
- Retaining users and community members/contributors
- DAO project management, contributor management, and intuitive onboarding
Once the changes are implemented:
- Contributors will be motivated to perform certain tasks on the Gitcoin Knowledge Base, such as:
- suggest edits
- suggest translations,
- update information, etc.
- The implementation of Quest, Badge, and Skill Tree NFTs will add an incentive layer for platform users and DAO contributors to engage with the ecosystem.
- Platform users can be onboarded to the GitcoinDAO and to Web3 projects easily with verified skills and interests.
- Platform users can trade their quests & badge NFTs.
Gitcoin Discovery Workstream (GDW) believes that the first step to solving these problems is to decentralize the Gitcoin Quests by motivating contributors to actively participate in the expansion of the GitcoinDAO.
Gitcoin Discovery Workstream will consist of 2 sub-streams:
- dKnowledge will contain information related to the Gitcoin ecosystem (grants, bounties, GTC, hackathons, policies, FAQs, etc.)
- dQuests will display the content from dKnowledge in a more engaging way and it will reward users for validating their learnings and actions.
We believe in effective collaboration required from our end to be able to implement the improvements we are proposing.
That’s why our budgetary framework is thoughtfully drafted for efficient cross-Workstream collaboration, as shown below:
To see the roadmaps in general refer to the pages below:
Our workstream will solve most of the current Gitcoin Quests’ issues:
- Quests are not grouped by project or topic
- Content is mainly for techies
- Repetitive Q&As
- Time-inefficient to load quests and go through a quiz
- Bypass of security measures (e.g. quest timeout and quest completion verification)
- Decentralization of Gitcoin Knowledge Base infrastructure
- User-friendly library format to Knowledge Base
- Collecting, forming, and organizing scattered information related to Gitcoin ecosystem
- Increase community participation into the decentralized Knowledge Base (dKnowledge)
- community pool prizes for translations, edits, completion of missing information, etc.
- Translation of the content within dKnowledge to 5 languages (Chinese, Japanese, French, English, and Spanish)
- Decentralization of Gitcoin Quests infrastructure
- Quest preparation material template
- Dashboard for project owners/contributors
- Introduction to dBadges to verify the skills of a contributor/user via Dynamic NFTs
Gitcoin Discovery Features
- Dynamic NFT Skill Tree
- DAO member onboarding structure
- dQuest, project dashboard
- Squad incentivization policies on content creation for quests and knowledge base
- Mentorship sessions
Our long-term roadmap is the following:
We will need 6 months(Q4 2021 - Q2 2022) to get a decent alpha version on the 3 milestones described below,
then 3 more months(Q2 2022) to make changes and improvements based on the feedback,
and then we’ll be ready for an open beta release.
Our short-term roadmap (which is what the current funding’s for) is the following:
Milestone 1 - 1 month
Intuitively pleasant user interface - We will create a user interface that will allow for users to join the Gitcoin Discovery Web dApp. The user will be able to create new “projects” which will entail creating and uploading data to GitBook. We will create and test a Github Action that can be plugged in any repo (GitBook or code), which will automatically upload the files of the repo to FileCoin and IPFS through web3.storage. In addition to the files of the repo, we will have the creator of the project upload images which will be ranked according to rarity. These images will be uploaded to web3.storage and using Web3.js, we will store in mapping with the image CIDs linked to the rarity and project name on-chain and emit an event of the storage.
Milestone 2 - 2 months
We will begin to implement and extend the multiple smart contracts needed for our project flow. A Project Factory smart contract will control the access, approvers, and minting of NFTs. This contract will inherit from ERC-721, and will keep track of pending eligible addresses for future minting. We will use Identity-Link Services built on top of IDX and Ceramic (Ceramic and IDX are built on top of IPFS) to link the GitHub account to an ethereum address(es) and DID through the user profile page. Separately a Topic Factory smart contract for contributors to established projects will be created. Within this contract, the Chainlink VRF will be used to add randomness to the minting of the NFT. We will also build a Chainlink external adapter which will pass the metadata and the chosen image from the mapping to NFT.storage and return the URI from NFT.storage to the smart contract.
At the end of Q4, upon the completion of the above-mentioned milestones, we will kick off Q1 2022 with Milestone 3 as described below:
Milestone 3 - 2 months
We will build a subgraph that will track the metadata of the project and topic NFTs. This will serve as a project registry and will also store the details of the projects. Our front-end will use the NFT.storage URIs to display the details about the projects and topics. We will build a smart contract for the quests that users will complete within the topics. The UI will be built for presenting these quests. The smart contract will call a Chainlink External Adapter which will check the Ceramic streamID for proof that the user completed the quest and will also pass metadata to NFT.storage and return URI to the contract. This will also utilize the Chainlink VRF contract for randomness according to pre-set thresholds within the smart contract. We will build a subgraph that will track the metadata of the project and topic NFTs. This will serve as a project registry and will also store the details of the projects. Our front-end will use the NFT.storage URIs to display the details about the projects and topics. We will build a smart contract for the quests that users will complete within the topics. The UI will be built for presenting these quests. The smart contract will call a Chainlink External Adapter which will check the ceramic streamID for proof that the user completed the quest and will also pass metadata to NFT.storage and return URI to the contract. This will also utilize the Chainlink VRF contract for randomness according to pre-set thresholds within the smart contract.
Maintenance and Upgrade Plan: Our team will update any library that we use on a continual basis. We will provide maintenance for the overall availability and security of the dApp. This will include bug fixes, monitoring, upgrades to major versions of tools such as Chainlink v2, new web3.storage releases, et al. We will also be looking for ways to enhance our existing features.
The core benefit of this proposal, if approved, is that GDWS will improve the ways and means of collaboration between GitcoinDAO contributors, GitcoinDAO Workstreams, and Gitcoin platform users. It would open the DAO to test, improve and implement ever-growing community incentivization protocols.
Further along the line, Gitcoin Discovery, with planned features to be presented as we progress, will help onboard thousands, if not millions of users and developers into Web3 space.
We emphasize the vision provided in the research of Modular Politics: Toward a Governance Layer for Online Communities;
(1) Modularity: Platform operators and community members should have the ability to construct systems by creating, importing, and arranging composable parts together as a coherent whole.
(2) Expressiveness: The governance layer should be able to implement as wide a range of processes as possible.
(3) Portability: Governance tools developed for one platform should be portable to another platform for reuse and adaptation.
(4) Interoperability: Governance systems operating on different platforms and protocols should have the ability to interact with each other, sharing data and influencing each other’s processes.
If we had to build the whole infrastructure to achieve decentralization it could have been a challenge but as we’re going to use composable technologies and great libraries like NFT.storage, Web3.storage, Ceramic, Chainlink VRF, The Graph, and other tools for the right job, it will make it easier to build this dApp.
What do you need from Gitcoin and when?
A lot of collaboration!
We would like to have a dedicated budget for Gitcoin Discovery Workstream to expand our collaborative efforts to decentralize Gitcoin with other existing Workstreams.
We are asking funding for a total of 63k GTC for Q4 2021. (see detailed budget distribution diagram here).
Starting from Q4, we would like to collaborate with Public Goods Workstream to;
- Decentralize the informational resources (library, knowledge base, research papers, etc.),
Starting from Q4, we would like to collaborate with MMM Workstream and have 2 full-time developers working on;
- Trading of NFTs earned on dQuests within DAOmart.
Starting from Q4, we would like to collaborate with the FDD Workstream:
- DevSecOps squad will help us with infrastructure, security-related tasks such as;
- Observability & Availability
- Security audits
- Policy squad will work on:
- Content approval to make sure it complies with our policy
- Recommend updates for articles dealing with subjectivity
- Content & user support squads will work on:
- Decides what content needs to be added and is responsible for drafting
- Collaboration between content, user support & policy
- Discord Knowledge Bot
Starting from Q4, we would like to collaborate with Moonshot Collective Workstream projects and have:
- 2 full-time developers (Scaffold ETH Contributors) working on building a Scaffold ETH Pathway and quests,
- 2 full-time developers (OpenSignal Contributors) working on:
- Project curation
- Course curation
- Course farming (staking)
- Quest curation
- 2 full-time developers (Subgraph dev team) working on:
- Subgraph Development
- Subgraph Curation
- Subgraph Consumption
- 1 full-time designer and 1 full-time developer working on:
- Figma design system
- React component library
Starting from Q4, we would like to collaborate with Ambassadors and Advisors to reach out to people deeply involved in web3 education, ideally with technical knowledge;
- Token engineers (interested in mechanism design and behavioral incentives)
- Members from Gitcoin and Gitcoin DAO to give feedback and to help us co-create the future of decentralized gamified education in Web3.
This is an open call for collaboration with:
- GitcoinDAO: its workstreams and contributors
FOR - If you vote “yes”, Gitcoin Discovery Workstream will be created, and the proposed budget above will be allocated to the multisig of the Gitcoin Discovery Workstream.
AGAINST - If you vote “no”, Gitcoin Discovery Workstream won’t be created, and the requested budget won’t be allocated.