This update seeks to inform the community about the results of a Steward Council v1 retroactive assessment, outline key priority areas for v2 of the Steward Council, and to announce the members of the Steward Council for the next 180 days.
This update is split into the following sections:
- Steward Council v1 Retroactive
- Announcing members of the v2 Stewards Council
The Steward Council was authorized via the The Steward Council Election & Mandate snapshot vote on March 11, 2022 for 180 days. As the period closes on September 7, 2022, and to prepare for the next session, a retro was conducted to capture lessons learned and identify areas of improvement.
The results are captured in this slide deck, but can be summarized in terms of what was done well, and what work still needs to be completed. Data was collected via one-on-one interviews, a qualitative survey, and a 1 hour review with the Stewards Council. The data collected, the input from the surveys, as well as a recording of the working group are all captured in the slide deck.
What worked well:
- We found a way to judiciously get the right people on the council
- We built a respectful and professional group to debate difficult topics
- We delivered a container and cadence for getting to a workable budget
- The team standardized the budget building process making a big difference
- We were able to identify the most important concerns
One of the key outputs from the retro was to identify what work still needed to be done, and what (if any) adjustments still need to be made. Through the discussions and a quick voting mechanism - we identified the list below:
The work to be completed:
- Continue refining/simplifying the budgeting process
- Clarify and optimize how members roll in and out of the Stewards council
- Migrate topics to “board level” strategic discussions vs. tactical recommendations
- Update and refine the mandate of the Steward council, incl remuneration of its members
- Revise the steward health cards & Steward Council selection algorithm
Additionally, it should be noted that DAO Operation have identified the following related OKRs which will be delivered by the Governance team during Season 15:
- KR1: Create a clearly understood onboarding and incentivization process.
- KR2: Launch a Governance Documentation Hub for new and existing stewards.
- KR3: 80% of stewards and workstream leads view steward meeting structure, pacing and content favorably.
- KR4: 80% of top stewards vote on 100% of formal S15 proposals.
Recall this council looks to elevate the participation of the most engaged stewards as exemplified by the engagement scorecards and looking at stewards with a rating above 8/10. There have been no changes in the Steward Council selection methodology for now. For background, the current methodology is documented here and revised here.
In future, we do plan to continue improving the steward health cards including proposals related to the Steward Council selection process, but no changes were made in this selection.
The current lineup of Stewards with scores of 8/10 or over during the past 180 days is as follows:
This second Steward Council will be active until March 06, 2023 following the 180 day period as laid out in this original post. This Council will take us through the end of Season 16, and comfortably into Season 17 before transition. If there are any adjustments to the current format or mandate, those changes will be brought to a community vote.
Finally, we would like to express our appreciation and gratitude to all the Stewards for their contributions to our first Council - both those who will remain on the Council, and those who are departing. You developed a professional working group that has made a significant contribution to the success of Gitcoin, and we thank you.
We are looking forward to your comments. If you are interested in becoming a Steward and potentially joining the next Stewards council, you can apply here.