- Trial run a meta-governance squad to spur adoption of the DAOs’ products
- Assist newbies and veterans with DAO2DAO governance
- Compliment the Governance Roadmap by incentivizing community to play an active role governance strategy
Metagovernance is the act of one DAO participating in the governance process of another through the use of a token. Further reading here.This proposal aims to establish a public meta-governance workstream with the goal of incentivizing and mentoring passionate contributors to understand and execute on a DAO2DAO governance strategy to accelerate adoption of the DAOs products in the wider crypto ecosystem. The milestone based meta-governance workstream will run over the course of 6 months which will involve a weekly sync, guidance and mentorship for contributors and performance based compensation using direct grants via Grants stack.
The Gitcoin ecosystem, with its MMM, Product, and PGF Teams, is robust and driven towards enhancing the adoption of Gitcoin’s products. However, each of these groups lacks the expertise and support to effectively tap into the potential of DAO2DAO (D2D) collaborations. The question then arises: How can we optimise the returns on D2D collaborations to expedite product adoption, without giving the impression of engaging in zero-sum games?
Meta-governance has joined the chat…
Almost a year ago, BanklessDAO faced similar challenges. Vibes were low and product adoption was down. At this critical moment, the DAO approved a proposal to fund a meta-governance workstream. Since then, the DAO was able to raise funds to
- 50k to fund its humanitarian relief initiative via 1inchDAO
- Deliver a global education and onboarding campaign worth 100K for OptimismDAO
- 2x revenues to over 25k from Gitcoin Grant Round
- 50k+ raised funds from other PGF projects like RPGF2, Octant, ArbitrumFest etc
In order to accelerate product adoption and expand the quantity and quality of contributors, we, DAOplomats, propose to establish and run a meta-governance workstream with the aim of:
- Facilitating the DAO2DAO governance conversation in Gitcoin
- Drive adoption of gitcoin products in other DAOs
- Secure funding for PGF (program rounds)
If this proposal is approved, the workstream will be kickstarted with a kickoff sync where we will assess the totality of external and internal talent, experience and availability of contributors as well as invite mulit-DAO delegates to join the conversation.We will work with existing stewards and members from core teams to hit the ground running from the get go. We will facilitate a weekly sync for all interested participants along with async chats to help participants in their journey.
Over the course of the program, stewards will be incentivized to participate in governance at other DAOs, gain reputation, increase voting weight, and leverage it to propose gitcoin’s products and services in those communities. The workstream will also invite multi-DAO delegates with pre-existing experience and reputation to assist the squad and accelerate positive outcomes.
We will not only focus on external governance but also assist existing and new contributors towards understanding and innovating on the Governance Roadmap, thus enabling a broader pool of talent to get highly engaged in Gitcoin governance.
Signal your interest by adding your general availability here, so we can identify a time slot that fits most people
Stewards who actively participate will be eligible for retroactive compensation proportional to their results. We suggest that this performance driven compensation be proportional to
- size of funds raised for PGF (program rounds)
- number of passports activated
- number of DAOs adoption grants stack
These payments will be done in the form of direct grants via Grants stack. This mechanism not only ensures that the right contributions are rewarded, but that the DAO continues using its products for its own benefit.
Active stewards will receive base compensation at the end of each milestone. Base compensation will be equally divided amongst all active stewards. The definition of active stewards as well as performance based compensation will be agreed with the participants and posted on the forum.
There are several delegate compensation programs at Aave, Maker, Optimism, 1inch which yield an average of 3-5k/month/delegate in income for the participating group. Stewards who are sufficiently trained and motivated will not only be able fund themselves while helping Gitcoin with product adoption, but will create a long term value flow between DAOs and across the larger ecosystem, which will ultimately help us as a crypto community resist Moloch and unlock the potential of DAOs.
|Milestone 1: 3-months||Milestone 2: 3-months|
|Retro Base compensation||15,000||15,000|
|Retro Performance based compensation||20,000||20,000|
Total ask: 100,000 GTC
This novel approach is designed based on our research and experience as delegates in several DAOs. Overall it incentivizes
- New ways for the community to engage and potentially be compensated
- Encourages newbies and veterans to strategically place attention toward long term thinking and goals which ultimately help Gitcoin fulfil it’s essential intents
- Offers a flexible pool of contributors, independent of fixed “hired” contributors
- Enables permissionless contribution and allows high quality, result dependent outcomes to be compensated
- Potential to increase DAO2DAO collaboration and increase product adoption
- % of governance proposals in the roadmap emerging from stewards
- Grants stack adoption in new DAOs
- Number of Passports activated
- Total funding raised for matching pools
- At least 1 new DAO adopting products or funding the matching pool
- At least 2 new DAOs adopting products or funding the matching pool
What do you think?