Hey all -
edit - Revised voting guide for dCompass based on feedback given - 2/9/22
edit 2 - Revised as I misrepresented FDD budget request - 2/10/22
What a flurry of budget proposals we have to review. I wanted to offer my voter’s guide for folks who may be struggling to digest the nuances in these proposals. I am not yet an expert on the amazing work each workstream is doing, but I have spent hours pouring over each workstreams goals, linked docs, budgets, and past results. Hopefully my growing context helps you all.
I want to note, I am a single person with a limited view. Please DYOR and bring to me questions if you want clarification.
Season 13 has brought about a total of 6 total requests from 7 workstreams. Here are the highest level details on the budgets as requested:
Budget Requests S13 (Q1 2022) - I also denoted where I know Holdings is propping up some of the workstream budgets to make sure its an apples to apples comparison.
MMM - 30K GTC (likely another 20K funded by Holdings right now)
PGF - 100K GTC (likely another 30K is funded by Holdings right now)
FDD - 93.5K GTC (No real funding by Holdings right now)
DAO Ops - 40K GTC (likely another 30K is funded by Holdings right now)
dGrants - 0 GTC (On Hold)
dCompass - 38K GTC (No funding by Holdings right now)
MSC - 130K GTC (likely another 20K is funded by Holdings right now)
Total request of ~431.5K GTC
Heres a visual breakdown:
S13 will bring about some great outcomes across the workstreams (if they deliver on all outcomes outlined):
- MMM - Build a marketing machine, shape and grow a leading Web3 brand
- MMM - Support the DAO’s marketing, design needs, and improve MMM team health and growth.
- PGF - Continue to grow and scale Grants Rounds (new cause rounds, new ecosystem rounds, operational execution of GR13, etc.)
- PGF - Growing community partnerships and the Public Goods Coalition
- PGF - Grow the Public Goods Community
- FDD - Advance Sybil Defense through community owned ML
- FDD - Increase Participation, transparency, and legitimacy
- FDD - Measure FDD health and increase that health rating
- DAO Ops - Bootstrap User support, Accounting, Regulatory considerations, community experience, community governance, and People Ops teams.
- dCompass - Beta launch the project
- dCompass - Launch 3 knowledge-base handbooks for teams, and grow adoption of the knowledge-base
- MSC - Launch successful products: Optimism collab, dPoPP, CPK and grow the innovation factory
Here is my take on how I will be voting:
MMM Voting as-is (30K GTC), with the caveat I would like to see funds moved from the DAO Mart to the Steward Report Cards given the criticality of those.
–This is a modest budget to help bootstrap some of the new initiatives Sean is bringing to the group. I am eager to see the results they can deliver now that they are more focused on Marketing in addition to the great work of previous seasons.
PGF already passed (100K GTC), noting the partnerships budget is fairly large and could be revised (perhaps with some commission percentage?)
–This is the heart of the DAO and what Gitcoin is and delivers. I love the progress they are making with each round and I want to continue that growth.
FDD Requesting a budget reduction to a total of 35K This is substantially lower than their request, but this is because there was a request made for double what they have budgeted, and I am suggesting some minor cuts to S13 budget, with larger cuts/reallocation to S14.
– FDD keeps much of the engine running each Grants round, and also has some of the most leaned in contributors. I have appreciated the vision Joe has put forth, and I would love to see that vision come to fruition. The cuts I am suggesting appear to be “just in case” budget, which reduces the accountability on a quarterly cadence.
DAO Ops already passed (40K GTC) - It is worth noting, I proposed this budget with the workstream so I am likely very biased on the work they/we are doing.
– DAO Ops is shaping up to be the backbone of How to DAO runs and coordinates (with consent from all workstreams). I am excited to see this group settle into their roles.
dCompass Voting as-is (38K GTC) - I am still worried about Gitcoin’s future in this work, but there seems to be good faith in the exit they describe and the core connection will hopefully remain.
– This work was originally requested by the core team, and it still valuable for us to make progress on this.
MSC split to two seasons (65K GTC for S13), noting the need for more accountability on the multisig (ideally a 4 of 7 with at least one “customer”) and more transparency in the future on funds spent for both prototype and product builds.
– There was clarification that this was for one season, which feels too large to me. I have not seen accounting for this workstream, like other workstreams have provided, and the streams being deployed obfuscate payments without a budgeting sheet.
– This workstream has delivered some great results in growing our public goods funding, but has had some missteps in finding market fit on these new tools. I would love to better understand how much funding is going to which initiative as part of this request. This request feels like a “lets ask for lots of funds and figure it out later” type of play.
Given this rationale, Snapshot budgets that resemble the following is reasonable:
MMM - 30K GTC (pending)
PGF - 100K GTC (already approved)
FDD - 35K GTC (pending)
DAO Ops - 40K GTC (already approved)
dCompass - 38K GTC (pending)
MSC - 65k (pending)