This is a renewal proposal for the Moonshot Collective Workstream requesting budgetary funds for Season 14 (1 May 2022 through 31 July 2022).
This proposal is now live on Snapshot for voting.
We’re entering season 14 as a reorganized collective. Our focus is going to reside in three main buckets this season; rapidly prototyping and experimenting within key themes to identify viable product concepts and solutions that add value to GItcoinDAO, organizing ourselves to become the trusted source of software development for GitcoinDAO, and better engaging the Moonshot community. We are asking for $450,254 USD worth of GTC.
Positive progress on initiatives from Season 13, details in the April workstream accountability report.
Key highlights & learnings:
Kevin Owocki handed over workstream leadership to @lthrift . The Collective has been diligently working on operationalizing all aspects of their work for improved contributor experience and more predictable success.
- Updated operating system overview here
- Work on the Optimism Partnership, Decentralized Proof of Personhood Passport, and Internet of Jobs is progressing positively and will continue in Season 14.
- The Coordination Party Toolkit active investment will not continue in Season 14.
- We learned the importance of having shorter feedback loops and paths to validation when building prototypes.
- Tokenstream will remain a key operational tool used by Moonshot Collective.
- Each of the toolkit products are being tested by other Gitcoin DAO workstreams.
Project Focus & Idea Flow
Moonshot plans to expand the idea funnel for potential moonshots and allow for Moonshot Collective to demonstrate being GitcoinDAO’s trusted source of custom software development. Which will result in frameworks that are transparent and accessible.
- Use a newly implemented process for intaking and vetting theme/ideas for 100% of new ideas that come to MC
- Use a project based budget model for Grant 2.0 Plugins/GTC Utility, and Conviction Voting themes to drive the experimentation of validating/invalidating of 1 or more prototype for each theme
- First known experiment for Conviction Voting (specifically osmotic voting) will be for DAO proposal voting.
- Produce utility for the network by implementing and using a repeatable framework for effective, rapid experimentation to validate or invalidate problem - solution fits. Over time, as knowledge & learnings accumulate, this framework will yield more high value problem/solution fits per season.
- Complete delivery of the Optimism partnership tooling & delivery of the MVP of dPopp.
Budgeting and compensation
Moonshot Collective will iterate on its compensation and budget policy in order to provide more stability to our contributors and help retain core talent while also ensuring budgets are being spent on work that is impactful and valuable to the DAO as a whole.
- Experiment with initiative based budget models & streams
- Ratify a compensation policy
- Be radically transparent to MC, community and stewards on how money will be and is spent while also forecasting our staffing/resource needs
Operations + Membership + Community Engagement
Increase community engagement by creating an environment that offers more value so that members feel engaged and active parts of their membership circles.
- MC will refine and ratify a non-dev (DESIGNER, PM and OPS) onboarding process and continue building a sustainable community engagement model.
- Document and post the Community Manager Role
- Define our membership circles
- Move communications to Discord
- Explore and document the capabilities of new members.
|Budget Category||Description & Assumptions||Amt USD||Amt GTC|
|Core Contributor Compensation||Accounts for current 6 core contributors and anticipated hiring of a Researcher and a Community Manager (pro-rated at 2 and 2.5 months of Season 14 to account for time to recruit & select).||$238,334||43,333|
|MC OpEx||Operating expenses inclusive of hosting, deployment, and developer tools costs, additional ops coordination, and operations tooling.||$21,200||3,855|
|Grants 2.0 Plugins / GTC Utility Initiative||The team will focus on speed running plugins for the Grants 2.0 protocol & mechanisms for creating more utility for GTC.||$72,800||13,236|
|OP Partnership Initiative||Final push to launch tooling for the next RPGF round in July.||$55,520||10,095|
|Conviction Voting Initiative||Kicks off a brand new R&D space around governance tooling. First known experiment will be around using Conviction Voting (specifically osmotic voting) for DAO proposal voting.||$62,400||11,345|
|dPopp Initiative||Staffing for dPopp is covered being done w/ Core contributors and all projects costs coming from Holdings.||$0||0|
*There are currently 4 core contributors being compensated by Gitcoin Holdings. MC will need to assume responsibility for their compensation in Season 15.
|Season 14 Total Need||$450,254||81,864|
|60 day reserves||$300,319||54,603|
|Contributor Annual Event Allowance||$120,000||21,818|
|Current treasury balance||($410,795)||(74,690)|
|Amount Requested from Treasury||$459,778||83,596|
Note: A denomination in dollar amount will be prioritized in budget proposals over GTC - if the spot price assumed at the time of posting ($5.50) this document on the forum changes between then and when the budget gets proposed on-chain, the GTC amount will be readjusted to reflect the dollar amount above. GTC are rounded values.
Current signers of the new Moonshot Collective Multisig are: @lthrift, @emudoteth, and @jaxcoder and we will be adding 3 more owners with a 4/6 signing threshold before receiving Season 14 funds. We will be retiring the previously used Moonshot Collective Parent Multisig and Baby Multisig.
Kevin Owocki stepped down as a workstream lead and Lindsey Thrift will replace him in Season 14.
The Collective established a membership structure with 3 tiers of contributors, Core, Trusted, and Community. In Season 14 we will be fully adopting the new model.
Workstream Lead - @lthrift
Operations Lead - @emudoteth
Operations Coordinator - @michaelgreen06
Community Manager - to be hired
Researcher - to be hired
Core Product Managers - @brent , @GTChase , and @gtcsameerth
Core Product Designer - @willsputra
Core Developers - @farque65, @jaxcoder, @qedk
Developers (7) - finalizing, will be edited w/ names once finalized
Product Managers (1) - to be onboarded
Product Designers (1) - need to find and onboard
We are bullish on the opportunity ahead for Moonshot Collective to be a secret ingredient to the success of Gitcoin as a ProtocolDAO and a leader in rapid prototyping on Grants 2.0 and beyond. Season 14 will be a foundational season for us as we solidify our foundation while delivering utility across multiple critical areas. We are humbled by the continued support of the stewards and DAO as a whole.