Workstream Mandate: Defend Gitcoin (Grants, DAO, & future products) from threats to its legitimacy, credible neutrality, and sustainability. [Mirror Article: GitcoinDAO’s Trust Function]
This is an AMENDED renewal proposal for the Fraud Detection & Defense workstream requesting budgetary funds for Season 14 (1 May 2022 through 31 July 2022). [Last amendment made Thursday, May 26th. Discussion period ends and proposal will be moved to snapshot on Tuesday, May 31st.
FDD is looking for the community to decide on funding and at what level. This proposal is a request to fund Season 14 (S14) and replenish its reserves for S15 (60 days calculated as ⅔ the approved Season 14 budget. Amounts listed below on each option are the season 14 budget request without reserves).
Select the option that you think FDD should be funded based on the initiatives below. A vote for option 1 would count towards each lower funding option until one is selected.
- option 1 has 1 million votes (Not enough)
- option 2 has 1 million votes (Counted as 2 million votes including option 1 - still not enough)
- option 3 has 1.5 million votes (Counted as 3.5 million votes including 1 & 2 - This passes)
- option 4 has 2.5 million votes (Enough to pass on its own, but the higher level is passed)
(40% reduction from original request)
OPTION 2 - Fund FDD $330,000 and signal they should not perform a discovery of a sybil detection / Passport DAO
(49% reduction from original request)
OPTION 3 - Fund FDD $200,000 to continue round operations but not support innovation or round to round improvements.
(69% reduction from Season 13)
(100% reduction from Season 13)
We have participated in governance and lowered our budget request to provide a lean FDD working to make grants 2.0 transition a success. The full funding request includes the original 40% reduction requested. We encourage stewards to fully fund FDD with option 1.
Option 1 & 2 are fundamental differences on the timing or need to launch a sybil detection DAO that focuses on Passport adoption and utility. Ideally, GitcoinDAO would own 20-50% stake and have a 10% aqueduct commitment.
Option 3 is a vote against the current team or roadmap for FDD. It is a signal that you do not believe funds are or will be used effectively, but know that GR14 requires some level of fraud detection & defense work.
Option 4 is a vote against FDD existing.
Here is an updated visual of the different squads and where they sit in terms of operational needs vs innovation:
Here is each squad with the outcomes they will enable for FDD & Gitcoin:
|Outcome||Value to Gitcoin|
Passport Protocol DAO
Production support of Passport & coordination with GPC to drive adoption and utility.
|- Build a digital public infrastructure for accelerating adoption of Gitcoin Passport
- Idea validated via BrightID participation, MetaPod Pitch Competition, and Hop Protocol
Data analysis, model prototyping & validation, and sybil strategy center.
|- Data analysis to find the best models for passport sybil defense
- Open source feature engineering pipeline turns behavior patterns into passport stamps
- Prototyping new features and models before pushing them into production
- Identifies new opportunities (low hanging fruit} for additional data-driven sybil detection strategies which leverage the data already collected
- Fulfills opportunities & requests for further collection and organizing of data
- Executes post round data analysis for grants round governance brief
Pure research finding insights & sybil stories.
|- Identifies continually evolving sybil behavior to be codified in the detection system
- Statistically validates the algorithm and directly squelching sybil users
- Continually trains the ml algorithm to think like the community, not the engineers
- Creates patterns to be engineered for Passport to allow for specific GitcoinDAO uses
- Provides model for grant review stamps to be sent to user passports
Data center which handles access control, ETL, and process automation.
|- Runs the end-to-end process used in production to detect sybil accounts
- Builds containers and automations to make processes consistent and easy to learn
- Supports other FDD dev ops needs & liason with Gitcoin DevOps team
Grants Intelligence Agency
Executes the critical functions associated with grant eligibility reviews, disputes, and appeals.
|- Reviews and approve/deny new grant applications in under 48 hours
- Ensures all disputes and appeals are heard and executed
- In depth review of suspect grants to ensure minimal improper matching allocation
- Ensure a proper functioning integration from Grants 1.0 backend to Ethelo
- Provide data to be used in evaluating reviewer decision making issues at scale
FDD Operating System
Core operations & communications supporting FDD squads and contributors.
|- Funds and directs the roles requested by DAOops
- DAO facing collaboration point to help communicate FDD role in the DAO
- Building on last season deep dive understanding of Is FDD successful in it’s mandate?
- Building dashboards for stewards & FDD with FDD round over round metrics
- Facilitates and synthesizes bottoms-up and top-down input to draft FDD outcomes
- Removes key person issues from the workstream
- Ensures that contributors are able to focus on the primary problems to be solved
- Creates accountability for outcome owners via strategic cadence and collaborative decision making processes which are seen as legitimate
Season 14 Budget Total = $x*
PLUS Season 15 Reserves = (x*1.6777)
Total Needed = $x + (x*1.6777)
MINUS Current Reserves = TBD* (110k GTC or approximately $254k)
Total GTC Amount requested at this time = TBD*
*The total will be adjusted based on the current market value at the time this proposal is moved to Snapshot and to Tally. The vote will be to send $USD value in GTC at the current spot price when moved to Tally or the 20 day moving average (whichever is lower).
This chart shows Season 13 budgets next to 2 numbers for Season 14 including the original requested amount and the final amended request.
- GitcoinDAO now runs the full anti-sybil operational process (previously done by Blockscience)
- Doubled the number of human evaluations done at ⅓ of the cost
- Classified sybil behaviors & ran impact analysis
- Performed trust bonus analysis and provided recommendations
- Won Metapod pitch competition and validated users for Sybil Detection DAO
- Reviewed sybil assumptions and began work on mechanism design & simulations
Grants Intelligence Agency
- Hit all primary round OKRs without getting data integration on time from Holdings
- Assisted PGF ops in tag requests for eco & cause rounds
- Began creation of “trusted seed” of reviewers
- Designed curation incentivization structure for any community to have community curation
- Grants Curation NLP model that can replicate the GIA team’s decisions with 69% accuracy
- Reviewed and analyzed all current eligibility policy
- A full end to end process mapping of the grant review process was created
- First season of source council was a success and even implemented accountability measures
- Developed FDD decision making process to encourage autonomy
- FDD contributor experience survey implemented
- Designed PEC model for bottoms up governance issuance within workstreams
- Created a data science pipeline for requests from other workstreams
- Created a data repository for public gitcoin datasets
- Designed architecture for GitcoinDAO data storage layer
- Made improvements/refactors/optimizations/bug fixes in SAD codebase
These seasonal objectives and key results highlight our focus within Season 14. These are TBD based on the budget passing.
Objective: Provide lean Grants 1.0 sybil defense & grant eligibility services for GR14
- KR1: Review and approve new grant applications in under 48 hours
- KR2: Lower appeal processing time to average under 1 week
- KR3: Lower the cost per grant review by 50% while maintaining quality
Objective: Build a decentralization & protocol-centric fraud defense strategy for Grants 2.0
- KR1: Identify 5 sybil stories for use by the Passport product team
- KR2: Identify a clear trust bonus scoring algorithm improvement for dPoPP
- KR3: Define at least 3 classes of stamp types for use in Passport
Objective: Build digital public infrastructure for grants 2.0 modular components
- KR1: Model a non-sybil use case for stamps within GitcoinDAO
- KR2: Provide 3 use cases examples for stamps
- KR3: Conduct discovery on Sybil Detection DAO as driver of Passport adoption
This amount represents the total holdings of FDD at the end of Season 13.*
FDD Primary Multisig
- GTC = 71,115
- USDC = 87,585
- ETH = 17.18
- DAI = 6,000
FDD Ops Multisig
- GTC = 25,340
- USDC = 15,616
- ETH = 0.375
- GTC = 0
- USDC = 0
- ETH = .3
- DAI = 0
*The total reserves on hand will be adjusted based on the current market value at the time this proposal is moved to Snapshot and to Tally using either the current spot price when moved to Tally or the 20 day moving average (whichever is lower).
Source Council (Core contributors) - 9
- Collaboration [DAOops Required]
- Talent [DAOops Required]
- Accounting [DAOops Required]
- Storyteller [DAOops Required]
- WS Lead
- CSDO 1,2,3
Full (Trusted) Contributors
- Multisig Keyholders
- Subject Matter Experts
Human Intelligence Task(HIT) Roles
- Grant reviewers
- Human Evaluators