Note: Edits were made on Nov 30, 2023 to incorporate feedback.
This proposal is asking for the GTC equivalent of
$200,000USD $175,000USD to bring together Gitcoin’s global and remote core contributors in Q1 2024. The treasury funds would be used to sponsor 4 nights of accommodation, hotel, transportation to/from the airport, and several team activities for DAO core contributors, with an additional 1-2 (TBC) night/day of activities for the CSDO team.
The event will include various activities such as:
- Team-building, Ideation, and Planning activities organized by workstreams and the organization
- Team dinner (excluding alcohol)
- Small welcome party (appetizers, etc.)
NB: Pre and post-event surveys will measure impact and gather feedback.
The core motivation behind this proposal is the belief that annual in-person gatherings are crucial for enhancing team interactions, promoting team cohesion, and encouraging cross-workstream communication. Building a sense of community among our core contributors will help ensure we are thoughtfully conducting medium- and long-term planning for the organization.
Such interactions deepen our sense of humanity and offer an environment where the challenges and opportunities of decentralizing human organizations can be explored.
A survey was conducted internally to better gauge sentiment around timing/location of where to hold this event for our (very) international team.
Approx. number of attendees: 50
Tentative date: March/April
Possible locations (based on sentiment + affordability):
- Lisbon, Portugal
- Denver, CO
- Mexico City, MX
The amounts below are estimates, since costs will vary depending on the selected location and finalized plans. Regardless, the intent is to minimize costs while creating a great atmosphere for collaborative work.
- Flights: ±$55,000
- Hotel Accommodations: ±$40,000
- Transportation: ±$6,000
- Contributor Per Diem: ±$20,000
- Office/Gathering Space(s): ±$2,000
- Team Building: ±$5,000
- Welcome Party Gathering: ±$2,000
Marketing Materials: ±$25,000
- Team Dinner: ±$5000
- Total: ±
The request is for the GTC equivalent of $175,000USD to cover all costs and expenses.
NB: A 25% buffer has been applied to the grand total to account for the rapidity of proposal funding, fluctuations in flight prices, and other unforeseen costs. Any funds not used will be paid back to the treasury.
Below is a rough draft of a potential schedule for the event.
|Day 0||Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5|
|Theme||Arrival||Everyone||Workstream(s)||Workstream sub-groups||Departure/CSDO||CSDO Departure|
|AM||Breakfast - Welcome, Town Hall||Workstreams||Xteam Cohesion - Session (Idea sharing)||Farewell breakfast, Shared learnings?|
|AFTERNOON||Team Activity||Workstream sub-groups||Xteam Cohesion - Session||CSDO Session|
|PM||Team Dinner||Team Dinner||Xteam Cohesion - Session||CSDO Session + Dinner|
- Planning of the event will be led by @deltajuliet and @CoachJonathan on logistics and CSDO for programming
- This offsite is for Core Contributors
- Members of CSDO can nominate additional individuals to join that they think will contribute to the programming and medium-to-long-term planning of the DAO
- Nominees must be majority approved by the rest of the CSDO members
Upon approval and funding of this proposal, detailed planning for each activity and agenda will kick off. The community can expect a follow-up on costs/spend after funding approval, ad hoc updates on planning and a post-event wrap up that includes spending updates.
- Enhanced Team Cohesion: Strengthening interpersonal relationships for easier and more effective collaboration.
- Cross-Workstream Communication: Facilitating dialogues across different workstreams.
- Innovation and Ideation: Conducive environment for brainstorming and ideation.
- Contributor Wellbeing: Activities contributing to mental and physical wellness.
- Community Building: A shared experience to build a stronger sense of community among Gitcoin contributors.
- Increased Productivity: Improved team cohesion and well-being lead to increased productivity.
- Enhanced Quality of Work: Better understanding and communication among team members.
- Stronger Alignment with Organizational Goals: Cross-functional interactions for better alignment with Gitcoin’s overall objectives.
- Improved feedback loops & opportunity tracking: Pre and post-surveys for valuable insights into the event’s impact.
- Resource Allocation: The proposal comes at a time when financial prudence is crucial. The funding request may raise questions about priorities.
- Distraction: The event may divert attention from ongoing projects or workstreams, affecting their timelines or quality.
- Measurement of Outcomes: The impact of the gathering may be hard to quantify immediately, given its focus on long-term team cohesion and productivity.
- Logistical Challenges: Coordinating a global gathering poses logistical difficulties that could potentially affect the event’s success.
Options for community members to vote on would be as follows:
1- Vote “Yes” to fund the entire initiative, including all activities and logistical costs.
2 - Vote “Yes” but with modifications to the proposed activities (please specify).
3 - Vote “No” to not fund this event.
4 - Vote “Abstain” to show indifference toward the outcome of this vote