The number of DAOs applying for grants has been increasing exponentially. The issue we are facing is much in the same way “token” as a term cannot define all tokens, “DAO does not define all DAOs”
As a collective focused on building opensource coordination tools which help solve public goods fundings problems, GitcoinDAO will need to select a policy for DAO inclusion in grants.
As of now, we have taken the lenient approach only denying for sybil and unqualified accounts.
I hope to have a productive discussion around what criteria should be considered and what the thresholds should be for inclusion.
Here is an inexhaustive list of criteria considerations:
- Is it already established?
- Is there smart contract governance? (Moloch, Compound, Multisig?)
- Should every substream and individual be allowed their own grants?
- Is the DAO open to participants or permissioned?
- Is the DAO designed to be forkable? Composable?
- Was the DAO a “fair launch”
- Can members of the DAO rage quit
I might add in as well that a few principles to consider here are:
- Positive Sum
- Ability to Exit
- Equal Access