[Proposal] Second Claim Window for $GTC

Objection, since Gitcoin has been given a month for users to claim it, why not claim it

1 Like

The objections to a second claim window sound reasonable when viewed in the light in light of the inherent vulnerability to bad actors. Sad the good intentions will be hurt by this also

2 Likes

Iā€™m not a bot lol but I have been hospitalized for several weeks along with my wife do to a car accident. The car crash coincided with the market crash and Iā€™m just now starting to evaluate my losses and this is a coin that Iā€™ve been very impressed with an anxious to get on board with. Iā€™ve been acquiring gitcoin via Coinbase but really would appreciate the opportunity to participate in claiming if available.

2 Likes

Give them time i say! gitcoin could have been used for other reasons beforehand and then maybe they got a cold i donno

2 Likes

Objection.
People who didnā€™t pay attention to those 3 reminder emails were unlikely to be here for long-term in the first place.

3 Likes

Imo, I think one month was enough for the window claim to be opened and with several remainders via mailā€¦tskā€¦ What makes us sure if given another grace of claim they would still claim it? Maybe they are either bots or long deadā€¦ Not trying to sound like a jerk here but letā€™s be realistic. ā€˜What if the remaining GTC addresses left to claim the drops are either bots or dead bodies account?ā€™

What if!.

2 Likes

Our engineer Zac Wolff who worked on the ESMS is gonna drop a blog post with details of this system early next week Iā€™m told.

As promised! Architecting & BUIDLing the GTC Token Distributor | Gitcoin Blog

1 Like

that would be fair and niceā€¦giving the fact that some persons may have not gotten the info during these past monthā€¦

4 Likes

We are in a State of Medical Emergency/Pandemic.

I was personally ,Down with Covid-19.
Iā€™m from India ,the State is very bad here.

I think Gitcoin should consider ,this from a perspective of Users not claiming due to the state of the Earth in terms of Covid-19 and give the Gitcoin Donates another chance.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy you were able to claim.

I am from India and I was infected with Covid-19 and recovered, as much as I love Gitcoin .
We should do a second Round to everyone who are facing similar Problems like me.

3 Likes

Yes We Should Allow Users ,a Second Claim.

Why?
As much as users Love Gitcoin,they or their families could have been Affected with Covid-19.
Its a Pandemic,which hasnā€™t yet Ended in many countries.

I am personally from India,and I was down with Covid-19. We are still in Lockdown.
Numerous Lives Lost.

Iā€™m sure there are more people like Me,who were Affected by Covid-19 who couldnā€™t claim the Airdrop. They Love Crypto Too,They love Gitcoin too.

That being said ,there are people who have made Contributions previously,
but have added the contributions after the Claim Round 1 , through https ://gitcoin.co /grants/ add-missing-contributions
I think they should be eligible too,for the Airdrop,as they have made Contributions just like everyone else.

Hoping the Community Votes for This with Heart!

4 Likes

no more chance for the sybils, some people have multiple accounts

2 Likes

Weighing in here - I personally do not think we need a second claim window.

Gitcoin has actively messaged around the claim window multiple times. If you were inactive for 30 days while GTC was the talk of the town, I would argue you are not actively engaged in the community.

If there are any recipients who missed the claim window but are still active, I would vote that we slot them into as Stewards and reward them through Seasons - rather than relaunching the whole claims system for those who are not even aware of it existing.

I very much resonate with making sure that everyone who created value for Gitcoin is able to earn in, but would suggest we focus attention on rewarding those who are engaged moving forward rather than those who may not be around any longer.

8 Likes

One month is very short a time frame at this time especially.

3 Likes

+1 on this one. On top of this the multiple emails were an extra reminder that you simply could not miss.

1 Like

Summarizing some of the points that people have made in this thread,

I agree that there should be no ā€œtime-limitā€ on this claim window, so it needs to be different than the previous airdrop. I might suggest a flat amount per user that each person can claim for activity with an Etherscan txn proving they contributed to a grant before the airdrop cut-off time. Just one possible solution :mag:

This is another great point from someone who understands the communication efforts that go into doing an airdrop, trying to ensure everyone knows about it is essentially impossible, but ensuring someone is heading up the communication efforts is something we must lock in before moving forward :loudspeaker:

I think we need to discuss alternative structure that rewards people for diving in moving forward, not necessarily focus so much on lost contributions for people in the past, more thinking required here :thought_balloon:

After speaking with the $GTC launch team there are a variety of potential claim errors that would each require deeper investigation, something that no-one, myself included, is in a position to do. Itā€™s either a one size fits all solution or nothing at all. We can speak on these claim issues at length in a call if you like :telephone_receiver:

Iā€™ll outline the claim issues here briefly though:

• Group 1: People on the distribution list but could not claim.

• Group 2: People are not on the airdrop distribution list but did contribute to a grant/ participated in a hackathon/ or participated in Kernel before the cutoff date.

• Group 3: People who missed the eligibility cutoff date. Didnā€™t claim within the 30 day window cutoff.

So the discussion needs to be around 2 things, how can we incentivize these people to keep contributing and how can we verify that they were in-fact eligible for the airdrop in the first place.

It will require some support and documentation from the Gitcoin Team, who is already stretched thin and some support from the existing token holders to support such a distribution from the treasury.

So far I have not seen strong support for the second claim window to even proceed, but we have 3 more days until this goes to snapshot so letā€™s see :eyes:

1 Like

Burning unclaimed tokens has 2nd-most comment likes in the other thread.

Some see a burn as the least biased method to distribute the unclaimed value, with near zero operational or support costs.

A store grows by keeping unsold inventory.
A tree grows by letting some leaves fall.

1 Like

Not sure how a store grows by keeping unsold inventory :sweat_smile: Iā€™m pretty sure stores grow by selling things, but hey Iā€™m no shopkeeperā€¦

1 Like

I am very sympathetic to the idea of opening a second (indefinite) claim window, but we have to make sure any approach we take should not incentivize any ā€œsybil attacksā€ in the process. Something like this ideaā€¦

ā€¦might work, because you could set the flat amount to be so low that it doesnā€™t make sense to do a ā€œsybil attackā€, meaning only those who actually deserve the $GTC will be able to get it.

2 Likes

The problem here is simple.
The hodlers wonā€™t vote yes on snapshot proposal.
It brings selling pressure.
And the holders wonā€™t let it happen.

3 Likes