[Proposal] Second Claim Window for $GTC

We are very concerned and like it, but we canā€™t log in to GITHUB, what can we do? This makes many people disappointed

1 Like

I think it is necessary to do these things. GITCOIN supporters are the most important. If people who cannot apply for airdrops for various reasons have a chance to get airdrops, then they will be loyal fans of GITCOIN. Everyone Contributions are indelible.

2 Likes

I am very happy. I got the GTC reward from gitcoin, but my friend was unable to get the reward because his account was suspended by github. He did not do anything illegal. The reply github gave him was that his github account was only used for Link to a third-party platform (gitcoin), so to suspend it, I think we must consider this issue.

2 Likes

" and the team didnā€™t want the liability of running it for more than 30 days"ā€¦

So, is there any way to know what ā€œthe teamā€ that made the decision to impose a 30 day limit - was concerned about in terms of ā€œliabilityā€? I think that info would be of value, especially if another claim window were to open ā€“ because it will eventually need to close and if 30 days wasnā€™t long enough last time, we should know what liability exists should there be a clear interest in going beyond 30 days the next time around.

did you have a chance to take a look of this post?

1 Like

As a participant who is studying, my personal opinion is that at least a reminder email should be sent in advance, and a window should be opened to facilitate the participant to retrieve it. Or why canā€™t it be directly transferred to the participantā€™s wallet address?

Are there any number about the claimed ratio? The token distribution contract has over 17k transactions but how many addresses it was supposed to be distributed? Uniswap had 89% without having any deadline so it wonā€™t go over that number even if we do the second round.

Just got a reply here https://twitter.com/matthewcarano/status/1412121119923093509 . 69% claim rate is already quite high so not sure if itā€™s worth doing another one.

I have seen a lot of ā€œyesā€ ā€œnoā€ ā€œmaybeā€ responses here, which is great because it sparks conversation around what we might do moving forward or how we might remedy the situation for those people who feel that the claim window was unreasonably short. What I donā€™t see is anyone who is qualified or willing to lead the effort in creating the second distribution windowā€¦

If Iā€™m mistaken please by all mean chime in here, but at this moment I donā€™t see this proposal having enough support to move to a snapshot vote. I want to avoid the situation where people are voting for something they donā€™t have the full details on.

If anyone is willing to put together a reasonable and well thought out proposal and lead the effort that would be required to organize this second claim window please speak up.

Just saying "Gitcoin should do this" is not a suitable response :man_shrugging:t3:

We are all Gitcoin now :smirk:, your voice matters, and your efforts count as much, if not more, then the Gitcoin Core Team !

That being said, I brought up this topic of discussion to get a better perspective on the situation but I have no intention of leading the effort to make it come to fruition. I donā€™t have the time and I donā€™t honestly see the ROI from investing time here that could be spent in other areas of Gitcoin that need support and guidance from the Stewards.

I would encourage people to look forward, not backwards and find a way to become part of one of the existing work-streams, start earning $GTC, and in no time at all you will make up for the $GTC you lost by missing the airdrop.

Lastly I think itā€™s important to keep in mind, an airdrop is a gift :gift: not an expectation. Gitcoin provides valuable services to the community of open-source developers and digital creatives, one that funds literally 100ā€™s of projects quarterly.

We want to focus on that kind of impact, we wonā€™t get it right ā€œevery timeā€ but if we can strive to improve from our short-comings then we are on the right track :pray:t3:

6 Likes

How about having a second airdrop that also includes those who joined the community after April.

2 Likes

noļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼1 :joy:

I support establishing a second distribution window, only limited to those deserve the gift in question, and only because there are situations where someone may not be able to receive the gift due to extraordinary circumstances. I managed to claim the gift, but at the very last minute - Iā€™m sympathetic towards those who may have missed the deadline entirely.

But I do not have the technical skills or knowledge for how to organize such a second window.

Even if I did come up with a proper approach for establishing such a window, many GTC-holders would oppose any sort of new claim window, making such an effort rather pointless.

I suspect most of the pro-ā€œsecond airdropā€ people are in the same boat.

If we cannot solve this past mistake, then I donā€™t think we can credibly say that we are on the ā€œright trackā€. If the community cannot disincentive itself from making mistakes, they will certainly make them again. There will be no reason to fix shortcomings, so they will be no improvements made.

That being said, I can understand arguments about it not being a good ROI for the project as a whole, or how increasing the $GTC claim rate by merely 20% might not be worthwhile. Therefore, itā€™s probably a good idea to move forward. But this is still a shortcoming, and we should strive to do better next time.

I must say this is something only Gitcoin employees can do.

Given the initial distribution is done by Gitcoin team, the majority of technical expertise is within the Gitcoin team. I am not sure if anyone would be comfortable enough to let random GTC holder to do such critical work (how do we prevent rug pull by the person leading the stream?) . Also only Gitcoin employees have direct access to emails so communication can literally only be done by the team.

If Gitcoin employees are willing to do the technical work and communication, what else need to be lead? Sounds like only thing left is to do two voting, the first to decide if we do it or not and then the second is to decide how long (1 month, 1 year, or no deadline) if ā€œyesā€ wins in the first vote.

1 Like

This is the main point Iā€™m trying to get across, Gitcoin Employees cannot do this, they literally no longer have the power to do so. Nor do they have the bandwidth, the funds are now inside the DAO Treasury, so it is actually up to the stewards.

That being said I think people are massively underestimating the effort required to improve the airdrop rate by 10-20% and missing the opportunity to ensure that these funds are spent on creating value for Gitcoin.

Sure some people missed out and thatā€™s really unfortunate, whatā€™s done is done though. We canā€™t go back and update the terms of the initial airdrop.

The question we need to ask ourselves now is:

Do we think that sending roughly $12mm In tokens and spending at minimum 2 months of effort organizing these proceedings is going to create an equal amount of value for open-source or public goods ?

Versus finding some way for people to earn those tokens by contributing today ?

5 Likes

This operation only directly benefits people who didnā€™t get $GTC but no one would trust people outside of ecosystem to manage $12 m worth of operation.

However, we can still make the decision to delegate the operation to the Gitcoin team so it literally comes down to the fact that Gitcoin team have no time to do so and I donā€™t think this is a type of work that should be delegating to someone else. The communication part cannot be delegated as you canā€™t give the email list to stewards either.

It sounds like you already answered that this is the way to go :-).

You are misunderstanding the topic of this thread, itā€™s not about rewarding people who just arrived at Gitcoin, which is definitely going to happen, itā€™s about distributing tokens to people who were eligible but missed the airdrop for one reason or another.

Please find a work-stream that aligns with your interest and dive in @David_Dyor you will be rewarded for your efforts :+1:t4:

1 Like

Oh oops! Thanks for clarifying Yalor.

I have jumped into a workstream and been helping out with the Anti-sybil group. It has been busy and enjoyable. Thanks again for clarifying thingsšŸ™‚

I say 30 days is more than enough time and you should not re-open the drop but should focus on the people currently engaged with Gitcoin.

2 Likes

@David_Dyor You couldnā€™t have said it any better, though I was sympathetic to those qualified and yet missed out in a way, whatā€™s done is done, letā€™s look forward as opportunities abounds. The GTC community will always have a better chance of rewards for our positive impacts in growing this space.

2 Likes

Closing this topic due to inactivity, lacking a formal solution here there is nothing that can be done to solve the complexities of executing a second claim at this time.

5 Likes