Gitcoin building GitcoinDAO is likely the highest leverage work we can do as a community. Dogfooding further reinforces our understanding of the value quadratic funding provides, while offering a case study for other ecosystems who might want to leverage it in the future. This proposal seeks to add a $50k DAI “side round” to Gitcoin Grants Round 10 (with funds outside of the current matching pool) in support of those who are building components, prototypes, products, and tools for GitcoinDAO.
We have found Gitcoin Grants to be a highly effective way to build & fund an ecosystem.
With the launch of GitcoinDAO, we now have an ecosystem to build ourselves, and the core Gitcoin team can’t do it alone.
We want to dogfood quadratic funding for our ecosystem! Let’s put A&B together and run a $50k side round to build & fund the Gitcoin ecosystem using Gitcoin Grants.
We propose we create a $50k round that is designed around the community working towards building GitcoinDAO.
The main criteria for this round is that you’re actively doing work that accelerates GitcoinDAO or Gitcoin’s mission towards funding digital public goods. This can be anything, but we are especially interested in:
- anything involved in the DAO workstreams
a. governance for the public good
b. prototypes for the public good
c. decentralization of Gitcoin itself
- communication - creating content or memes for the public good
- in general - anyone who is advancing GitcoinDAO’s goals/mission through their actions.
A good example might be, “Who is building an app that allows me to poll/chat with my GTC delegates?” …We need this, and so many more tools and products!
Quadratic Funding is a great way for the community to self organize and fund the work that it values the most.
Dogfooding Gitcoin to build GitcoinDAO:
- allows those who are working on the DAO to build empathy for end-users (grant owners, customers) by becoming an end-user themselves.
- rewards those who are spending their time & energy on our mission, thus making it more likely that they will continue to spend time/energy here.
- creates a positive feedback loop between the community + DAO stewards.
- offers transparency in how initiatives are being funded and developing.
- hopefully creates really great product UX the entire ecosystem can use!
We see this proposal going through 3 steps:
- Proposal & Stake - $50k in funds for the DAO, from Gitcoin Holdings Inc., has been pledged towards this matching round, to build GitcoinDAO.
- Deliberation - Through discussion on this proposal and a Snapshot vote, the stewards will ratify the creation of a $50k side-round for GR10 that creates a matching pool for anyone working on the DAO.
- Implementation - The community will be invited to post Grants for their GitcoinDAO related work. The $50k from Gitcoin Holdings will be sent to the multisig. The round will be run, and paid out as per normal.
Once we have gathered feedback on this proposal, we will submit a Snapshot vote.