Last week, we wrapped our first Open Data Science Hackathon. This week, workstream budget proposals, and five hackathons currently running on Gitcoin!
How can we improve the digest? Leave your feedback here.
Here’s what’s happening in the DAO this week:
- That’s a wrap on our first Open Data Science hackathon, which ended on Halloween! There will be a recap post forthcoming. In the meantime, we currently have an additional five hackathons running on Gitcoin right now! Check them out. Also, the Everscale Elysium Hackathon started on 11/1!
- We’ve got a slew of Season 16 budget proposals for GitcoinDAO’s various workstreams. If this kind of thing excites you, or you’re simply curious, scroll down to the “Governance Forum” section of this post for a complete list, plus links to review those proposals.
- No active proposals this week. However, you can check out the S16 budget request proposals from the various GitcoinDAO workstreams in the Governance section of the Digest below!
- Announcing: the Fantom Alpha Round. Fantom is using Gitcoin’s grants protocol to run an initial round allocating 125,000 FTM to projects building within the Fantom ecosystem. Submissions are open until 11/14, with voting to rank the projects happening in late December. Read about it on our blog.
- Gitcoin x Lukso Hackathon Twitter Space. Today at 2pm ET, Lani chats with will chat with @lukso_io & their 1st place hackathon winner @lookso_io on a retro of the joys and challenges of organizing and participating in a hackathon. Schedule a reminder here.
- Twitter Spaces Feedback Survey: Speaking of Twitter Spaces, we’d love your feedback on ours. If you’ve attended a recent Gitcoin Twitter Space, please take 3 minutes to fill out this survey.
- Hot Topics
- New Posts in the Governance Forum
- New Posts on the Gitcoin Blog
- This Week’s GreenPill Episodes
- New and Active Governance Proposals
- Upcoming Events
If you’d like to get the Digest in your inbox, sign up here.
And now, this week’s Hot Topics!
Meme by McKennedy.eth
A roundup of interesting topics of the past week from within the GitcoinDAO ecosystem.
Joe created this post detailing the Round Manager Personas in a table. They are: Match Pool Funder(lead), Match Pool Funder(minor), Ecosystem Owner, Round Operator(community-led), Round Operator(Gitcoin-led). Joe invites forum readers to comment/reply to the post, or to check out the Miro board here.
Season 16 Workstream Budget Requests
Here’s a list of budget requests from GitcoinDAO’s five existing workstreams:
[S16 Proposal] DRAFT Gitcoin Product Collective Budget Request, by Kevin Olsen
[S16 Proposal] DRAFT DAO Operations Budget Request, by Jodi
[S16 Proposal] DRAFT FDD Budget Request, by tigress
[S16 Proposal] DRAFT Public Goods Funding Budget Request, by ceresstation
[S16 Proposal] MMM Budget Request, by CoachJ
Joe builds on Owocki’s original “The Grants 2.0 Flywheel” post. The central question of the post is, “How do we create sustainability in the mechanism?”(read Joe’s previous post “A model for Gitcoin sustainability” here). Joe posits that, as we begin to roll out alpha and beta versions of grants protocols in the next 2-6 months, we can start onboarding other web3 ecosystems and communities now–in fact, the success of Grants 2.0 may depend on how well we onboard new communities to the grants protocol. He also talks about how GTC price and utility factor into this flywheel. Joe ends the post with a message that we, as a DAO, need to think deeply about sustainability, and which levers create the most impact.
Messari Governor Note: Decentralizing Gitcoin by joel.miya
Joel Miyazawa, an analyst at Messari, wrote this report as an analysis on “[the GR16 Structure proposal forum post] and Gitcoin’s transition to a decentralized protocol”. It’s free to read on Messari’s site, and provides a good overview of Gitcoin’s transition to Grants 2.0 from an external perspective. Thank you, Joel!
Announcing the decentralized future of Gitcoin Grants, by Team Gitcoin
This post gives insight into Gitcoin’s process of decentralizing it’s grants program from a centralized platform, to a set of open source, decentralized protocols. Testing and soliciting feedback from previous Grantees is a top priority as we continue to roll-out the new grants protocols.
Announcing: The Fantom Alpha Round, by Team Gitcoin
The Fantom Foundation is leveraging Gitcoin’s grants protocol for an initial round allocating 125,000 FTM to projects building within the Fantom ecosystem. Through the partnership, Fantom builders will be able to use the protocol to secure matched funding that helps sustain and grow their projects.
GreenPill #58: What Information Wants with Rhys Lindmark – On this episode of Green Pill, Kevin is joined by Rhys Lindmark, author of, “What Information Wants”. The two dive into what, in fact, information actually wants, the fascinating ways in which information replicates, how we avoid a ‘race to the bottom’ type scenario when it comes to information, and so much more.
GreenPill #59: Impact Networks with David Ehrlichman – David Erlichman is author of the book, Impact Networks: Create Connection, Spark Collaboration, and Catalyze Systemic Change. He is also the co-founder of Hats Protocol, which tokenizes contributor roles for DAOs. The study of networks is increasingly popular as an approach to understanding complex networks. David has combined theory and action through his writing and building to uncover patterns in how we organize and coordinate.
Snapshot polls GTC Holders and Tally performs on-chain actions. Proposals that have on-chain steps, such as budget requests, move on to Tally after being ratified on Snapshot.
- Currently none.
- Workstream budget requests for S16. See “Governance Forum” section above for complete listing.
Latest Completed Proposals:
- GR16 Round Structure – Ended Oct 27 | Passed with 99.98% ‘FOR’ (Snapshot)
If you have an event you’d like us to include in the Digest, reach out to @alexdw5 on Twitter or Discord.
- 12p ET – DAO VIBES – our weekly open community vibes call. Happens in the Citizen Forum on Discord.
- 1p ET - Gitcoin Gathering – Gitcoin Gathering is a series of personal development workshops led by Jon and Laura! Open to Core and Trusted Contributors. Let Saf know if you have any Trusted Contributors to add to the calendar invite!
For up-to-the-minute updates on Gitcoin events, check out our Events Calendar!
Sign up here to get the Gitcoin Digest in your inbox.
Help us improve the Gitcoin Digest by interacting with this pol.is instance! Add your statements and vote on what others have put forward. Remember to check back regularly to vote on new statements. Thank you!