GG20 Proposal: ethereum.org Contributors Roud

gm folks! Iā€™m Isabella (Twitter / read.cv), Community lead at ethereum.org - first time posting in this forum, but following for a long time Gitcoin mission and its impact to the ecosystem. Happy to be here :blush:

First of all, a few words about the project I represent:

ethereum.org is a public, open-source resource for the Ethereum community that anyone can contribute to.
We strive to build an easy-to-understand educational resource for all topics relating to Ethereum, designed to help new users become familiar with Ethereum and its key concepts.
We have a small core team dedicated to maintaining and developing the site, with contributions from thousands of community members across the globe. (Learn more on our website).

• Name (or Topic/Theme) of Proposed Round

• How many times has this round been run during a Gitcoin Grants round?

• ethereum.org hosted a 'Community Roundā€™ during GG19 in November 2023 (see Gitcoin report card here)
  • How big is your team that will run this round? Who is your team?

• How does this round align with Gitcoinā€™s mission and essential intents?

• ethereum.org is a public, open-source educational resource for the Ethereum ecosystem.
    • We recognize the importance of cultivating a vibrant and engaged community, as Gitcoin does. By participating on GG20, we demonstrate our commitment to seek ways to return value to contributors that have made or are making an impactful on ethereum.org.
  • What do you anticipate the size of the matching pool will be (either fundraised from partners, raised independently through your connections, or a combination of both)?

• Identically as the last round ethereum.org has participated, we are committed to fund 5,000 DAI for the matching pool.
    • Funding address: [missing information: if permitted, Iā€™ll edit the proposal in order to add that information as soon as I have it]
  • Who will be advisors for this round, if anyone?

• We have not considered inviting advisors for this round, but weā€™d be glad to re-evaluate this decision.
  • Please describe the eligibility criteria you envision for this proposed round.

• Project - A ā€œprojectā€ refers to a contributor to the ethereum.org website domain or subdomains. Contributors (ā€œprojectsā€) can apply as individuals or as collectives, noting only one Ethereum address will be used for payout.
    • Completed work - Contribution must have been performed in the pastā€”funding is not intended for future/planned work.
    • Evidence - Must provide a public link to clear evidence of contribution. This is both for the operating team, as well as for donors participating in a round to see.
    • Financial disclosures - Applicants who may have previously received funding for their work associated with a contribution are welcome to apply, but for the sake of transparency are required to disclose this amount publicly.
    • Time period - Contributions are currently allowed from any time since 2019, which marked the v1.0.1 release of the current code repository, until March 2024.
    • Excluded parties
      • Round will be managed by members of the ethereum.org core team who are ineligible to receive matching funds.
      • Full-time and part-time employees/contractors of the Ethereum Foundation are not eligible to apply to the round.Eligibility criteria are subject to change, and the ethereum.org core team will arbitrate disputes. For questions, reach out to the ethereum.org team on Discord.
  • How large is your community approximately?

• Over 1.2K contributors (see list here: Contributing | ethereum.org) have contributed in several areas of the website, such as design, code, content, translations and community.
  • What type of projects would you like to fund?

• In short, we aim to retroactively reward contributions made on ethereum.org from 2019 up until end of March 2024 (before the allocation time starts).
    • Contributions can be from (but not limited to) any of the following categories: Translations, Content, Documentation, Design, Bug reports, Code/development, Accessibility, Infrastructure, Tooling, Data, Community.
  • Approximately how many grantees do you believe will be eligible to apply to this round?

• Anyone that have placed an impactful contributor to ethereum.org should be eligible to apply to this round ā€” which means that, by numbers, over a thousand people could be applying.
    • On GG19, 19 projects/individuals have applied to ethereum.org Contributors Round (see summary here)
    • On GG20, weā€™d consider this round successful if we double the previous number ā€“ meaning, increase the number of applicants by 40.
  • Is there anything else that community members should consider when voting for which rounds to focus on in the upcoming GG20 grants round?

• ethereum.org is currently managed by a core team of nine full-time individuals, but is comprised of contributions from hundreads of contributors from all over the globe.
    • Contributions to ethereum.org have increased significantly in frequency over the past five years. The vast majority of these contributions have been on a voluntary basis, meaning large portions of the site content would not have been possible without this community support.
    • Thee goal of hosting a community round on GG20 is to retroactively reward impactful work, while encouraging and creating incentives for everyone to contribute to public goods, including ethereum.org ā€” and of course, to say thank you to our fantastic community of contributors.

__

Donā€™t hesitate to reach out / reply to this post if you have any questions. Have a great week everyone :green_heart:

4 Likes

Hi @isabella! Oh Iā€™ve edited this post because I only saw your note now about the funding address still coming. Yes please if you could add that as soon as you can please. Itā€™ll make the council decisions a lot easier! Thank you

1 Like

Thank you once again for your proposal! Please note that the council will review and vote the week of March 18 - 22. Voting wonā€™t take place in a public setting (to avoid any collusion).

Results will be posted on the gov forum March 25th. Please be available the whole of next week (voting period) to answer any questions on this post that the council may have!

Good luck!!

3 Likes

gm @MathildaDV, thanks for the note!

We tried to set up the round contract today but we got a notification to wait until March 27th once Allo v2 is launched. We will try again in a week but in the meantime, Iā€™m around to answers any questions from you and/or the community :blush: cheers!

2 Likes

Aaah yes please wait at least until March 29th to be safe! I would also recommend not to deploy now because if you are one of the accepted rounds in GG20 your application and donation dates and times need to coincide with the OSS round (as outlined in the eligibility doc).

Thanks so much! And ff to ping me if you have any other questions!

2 Likes

Thatā€™s helpful, thanks once again! cc @wackerow :saluting_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the submission! I noticed only 19 projects/participants were part of the previous round. Was this due to fewer submissions or had shortlisted projects been limited to 19 as a decision of the core team?

Given that the thereā€™s 1000+ contributors, I was curious about how youā€™d envision shortlisting of the projects and whether you planned to limit it or keep it open-ended (depending on the interest and applications) for the proposed round here. @isabella

2 Likes

Hi @mashal! Thanks for your question :open_hands:

From all applications received, there were very few rejected (from what I recall, less than 10) - mostly from projects completely unrelated to ethereum.org (e.g. NFTs looking for funding), and one or two that did not fulfil one of our requirements: having contributed to ethereum.org before the community round have started. Therefore, in short, we can say have received less applications than we expected (facing the number of contributors in our community)

In terms of marketing efforts, I like to think we can always do more and better - however, our team made sure to not only publicise GG19 within the ethereum.org community, but also create support materials and channels (e.g. a dedicated Notion pages and Discord support channel), hosting sessions two how-to sessions on our Discord (big thanks to @sejalrekhan for the help!), as well as promoting regularly on Twitter (e.g. this tweet).

Personally, for GG19 last year, I think that the fact it coincided with Devcon Istambul didnā€™t work as expected (at least for us), as any big event always end up capturing attention from the ecosystem over other initiativesā€¦ thatā€™s why the team and I were looking forward to apply for this GG20 happening in April: to try a different year timeline and see if works best (especially now that our community is aware such initiative exists and they can potentially participate).

Let me know if this answers your question :blush:

1 Like

Hi @isabella! I know you were considering still running a round during GG20, which is great! Hereā€™s a runbook that we put together for a full walkthrough on setting up and running a round: Welcome | Round Operations

FYI these are the dates and times for GG20 donations: April 23 @ noon UTC - May 7th @ 23:59 UTC. LMK if you have any other questions!

2 Likes

gm @MathildaDV, these guidelines are great - thanks for sharing!

Our team have indeed considered taking part of this upcoming GG round, but have decided to postpone the idea and (hopefully!) participate on GG21. Anyway, I appreciate the reminder and hope to come back here with good news in a couple of months (in the meantime, Iā€™ll stick around in lurker mode in the forum) :smile:

3 Likes

Lurker mode is always welcome here :wink: Make sure to also check out this post that dropped today about potential extra matching funds available to those still wishing to participate in GG20! Just thought Iā€™d throw it out there!

2 Likes