Signal Boosting for Gitcoin Citizens Retro #3

Props to @krrisis and @umarkhaneth for innovating on QF. This is a great way to use domain expertise to combat the Keynesian beauty contest problem in QF.

Similar to lists in RetroPGF3, this could be a great way to let the broader community know what type of contributions Gitcoiners value most. This is important because many high impact contributors are excited to do the work, but despise having to compete against prolific Eth Beggar cliques

Congrats to Gitcoin on continued improvements to QF with every iteration.

@meglister @Sov @owocki @M0nkeyFl0wer - Any chance this is integrated to GG20? Would be cool to see top Arbitrum delegates and core team be engaged with this newfound GTC utility? Not much overlap with their top delegates, a last minute ā€œApply to become an Arbitrum signal boosterā€ could be a great way to entice the ArbitrumDAO contributors to participate in Gitcoin governance. :white_check_mark: Network Effects :white_check_mark: increased participation in governance :white_check_mark: better ecosystem ROI / impact results :white_check_mark: meaningful growth for the Gitcoin community

9 Likes

This is a great idea, thanks @carlosjmelgar ! Not sure what it would take for us to pull it off internally but will chat with @Sov and @MathildaDV tomorrow :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is a great experience, and cool experiment for supporting public goods (as well as Gitcoin Citizens).

1 Like

itā€™s an interesting methodology for support citizens.

thank you for your sharing and hard working. (it must be lots of work to filter/select the talent citizens)

1 Like

Hey Carl!

Thank you for sharing your allocations as a signal booster. Much appreciated.

I fully respect your allocations but sincerely I think it has not been the better method or way to expose them.

You were selected as a signal booster for all the good work you are doing and you have done in the open source ecosystem, OSO, impact metrics, Gitcoin and lot more placesā€¦But not for using a random seed.

In my humble opinion a signal booster is a responsibility as you are signalling (and influencing) not with your own money but with the community money.

And a random Knockout Tourney between the people supporting you itā€™s not the best for signalling with the community funds.

And classifying Gitcoin Citizens as co-champions and Elite is not the best for the people supporting you and less with the community funds. Gitcoin Citizens can generate more or less retro impact. Thatā€™s all.

I can agree that trying to get the most from the matching pool is like a competition between all the Gitcoin Citizens and your attached image feels like this.
But what about if the random seed would match all the Elite Gitcoin Citizens between them in the First Round?
Fortunately, we will never know.
But that is what we say ā€œbolas calientesā€ in Spain.

3 Likes

Hi Ivan,

I appreciate the feedback. I had a longer response but decided to keep it brief and if you want to discuss further we can chat 1-1.

• Random seeding has itā€™s drawbacks, as you mention, but at the same time, I felt uncomfortable ranking everyone or coming up with a scoring rubric.
  • Iā€™m not sure what you mean about supporting people who support me. I just attempted to signal boost in the areas that have been most visible to me since the last Citizenā€™s round, first by choosing 32/61 and then by highlighting a smaller set of citizens from within that group. I stand by those signals.
  • Gitcoin is a big community and as one person I donā€™t see all forms of impact. Hopefully my blindspots are compensated by other signal boosters who bring a different perspective.

Again, appreciate your perspective and the work youā€™re doing here :saluting_face:

6 Likes

Thank you Carl for your kind response and understanding.

As I said it is my humble opinion and of course fully respect for the allocations.

I am a person that I always try to innovate and find my niche without the need to compete directly with anyone (Knockout Tourney). And this is the reason why I like your rounds table but sincerely I donā€™t like the bracket details.

But also happy to see that others are loving it. This is the greatness of Gitcoin.

And about what I mean by people supporting you isā€¦ Gitcoin Citizens - Support the people supporting you. Because each one of the 61 (at now) Gitcoin Citizens are supporting all of us. With more or less impact but they are supporting all of us.

2 Likes

Love this initiative and the convo around selection.

The conversation about localization and ensuring non-English projects get a fair shot is crucial. Weā€™re a global community, and our support should reflect that. Itā€™s important to make sure weā€™re not just supporting the projects we know because theyā€™re in our immediate circle or language group.

Iā€™m keen to explore similar methods that encourage thorough evaluation, especially those that can bridge the language divide and bring a spotlight to valuable contributions from all corners of our ecosystem. I appreciate @ccerv1 approach (because itā€™s how my brain works) but value your opinion on signal boosting fueling competition vs collaboration @ivanmolto.

Hopefully my blindspots are compensated by other signal boosters who bring a different perspective.

I think this group is well-suited to round out each otherā€™s allocation(s). Iā€™vw participated with my own funds based on impact Iā€™ve witnessed firsthand (and intend to make sure I have higher visibility in future rounds).

7 Likes

circling back ā€“ discussed today and are going to try rolling this out during GG20 with 10k in ARB allocated to top ARB delegates. (cheers to @Sov @MathildaDV and team for jumping on it!)

thanks so much for the great idea! as we have more details will share in a dedicated post.

11 Likes

While you use this mechanism to improve project discovery, and to signal to the community which projects deserve more support, there is another use case.

In QF pilot in City of Split, we are planning to run a rounds for cultural projects. Traditionally and by law, these grants are given out based on a decision of experts from the field of culture. Itā€™s the common understanding that these experienced, renown, senior cultural experts can best evaluate which proposals create higher quality culture. They donā€™t evaluate by popularity, but by quality and impact. There is value in this, and we probably shouldnā€™t get rid of it fully.

I was thinking on how we could combine QF and (somewhat nerfed) experts decisions. Maybe the public would make 70% of the decision, and the experts would retain 30%. Now I see that this can easily be achieved with this mechanism.

4 Likes

I am stoked to share my journey as a signal booster for the Gitcoin Citizens Retro #3 program, and have the distinct pleasure of being the only contributor solely concentrating on Gitcoin Passport.

My focus has been on evaluating contributions based on two main criteria: the advancement of Gitcoin Passport and the enhancement of safety within the Gitcoin community.

Results
I decided to select five citizens to reward with my allocation.

Kris ā€“ The backbone of this programā€™s success. His work and dedication to the program has helped to fund numerous citizens that have been impactful to not only Passport, but the greater Gitcoin ecosystem.

Humpty ā€“ Ever since my first conversation with Humpty, his dedication to driving the Passport and Gitcoin has been clear. His Mosaic Drops campaign has successfully deepened user engagement with Passportā€”an impressive feat that speaks volumes about his dedication.

Keith ā€“ Though my interactions with Keith have been limited, his Proof of Philanthropy project resonates with our goals. Weā€™re exploring a few different ways to weave his contributions into Passport, promising exciting possibilities ahead.

Drew ā€“ Itā€™s a dangerous world out there. Passport is here to protect programs from Sybils, and Drew is here to protect Gitcoin from literally everything.

Carl ā€“ Lord of data. Prince of insights. I donā€™t even know if heā€™s aware of this yet, but his work is going to help Passport further develop our budding model based detection verification program. THIS IS THE FUTURE!

Final note
Funding citizens for work that theyā€™ve done without any direct expectation to be paid is a beautiful thing. It breeds a highly engaged and dedicated community of builders and friends around a product. I truly wish I could have implemented a similar program with my previous Twitter Developer Insiders back in the day, and am excited to see this program spread beyond the Gitcoin ecosystem in the future!

7 Likes

Hi, this is Swift Evo in Citizen rd 3, another Chinese-speaking Gitcoin citizen.

I love the idea and make it become a true execution plan on signal booster. and thanks all the signal booster as all of them have to face huge pressure to think how to distribute their funding in a fair way. For me, it is an action and strong message from Gitcoin, which shows the willingness on how to improve the public goods funding continously.

Although I donā€™t have another 10K to do the signal boosting, I made four different lists for the boosting:

GreenPill friends
https://twitter.com/swiftevo1/status/1778016961802473485?t=ttS3e_3vIJWb9MUkyBumkg&s=19

Chinese speaking contributors
https://twitter.com/swiftevo1/status/1775183840484458960?t=w4s3-wVj3N2JrdruPb5v1w&s=19

DeSci Citizens lists
https://x.com/swiftevo1/status/1778741737122414887

Not the last 10, but top 100 lists
https://x.com/swiftevo1/status/1779287676740665566

5 Likes

Thanks for choosing me as a signal booster. This was not an easy task as there are so many great grantees. Taking inspiration from the upcoming OSS round I chose to boost citizens who have built open-source software and tools that support the Gitcoin ecosystem.

Here is a thread about my choices:
https://x.com/jhruth/status/1779553005509259340

5 Likes

Both myself and @CoachJonathan have put our heads together to do our signal boosting. This post/comment is intended to highlight the criteria that was used to determine the distribution of funds.

Iā€™ve also included my own personal reflections I had while I was doing the reviews that Iā€™ve included below.

Methodology

• Every single grantee was reviewed to familiarizing ourselves with their application
    • Notes included what they worked on, whether they have received funding and the kind of work they were doing for the Gitcoin Ecosystem
  • Each project was assigned an ā€œimpact scoreā€ on a scale of 1 to 5 (1 being the lowest, 5 being the highest)
    • 1 = Exemplifying what we feel are desired citizen behaviours
    • 3 = exemplifying 1 + driving towards a strategy that will capture value for Gitcoin
    • 5 = exemplifying 1 + 3 + actually capturing value for Gitcoin
  • Impact score is subjective and was determined through several factors:
    • Those that directly aligned with Gitcoinā€™s goal of advancing our tech and advancing the grants space as a whole received more funds.
      • This included net new builds on Allo or tools that extend our ability to create impact with our tech stack (e.g, data dashboards, impact measurement tools, etc)
    • Previously uncompensated grassroots round managers scored well (since it is a ton of work!) ā€“ especially if they fundraised themselves and brought additional GMV through Allo
    • Marketing and onboarding initiatives (though important) scored lower for us than other projects due to the sheer amount of applicants doing that work.
    • We favored projects that focused on adoption within the global South vs. global North
  • We took our total amount of funds to be donated, split that by the total sum of the scores (1600USDC for Laura/169 = $9.47 per point, similar formula for CoachJ at 1447 USDC) and multiplied that number by the score for each project, meaning:
    • Impact score of 5 = $47.30
    • Impact score of 4 = $37.84
    • Impact score of 3 = $28.38
    • Impact score of 2 = $18.92
    • Impact score of 1 = $9.47
  • We were initially going to reduce amounts for those who have already had payouts butā€¦more math felt less desirable.

You can dig into the results here, if desired.

Reflections

I really enjoyed this process and got to sense into how Citizens are currently contributing to Gitcoin and how aligned (or not) they are with how I envision contributions to the ecosystem.

I absolutely appreciated all the applications and distributed my donations across everyone as I wanted to signal that all contributions are valuable ones. Here are some of my top takeaways from this process:

• I noticed some duplicative efforts going on in some cases. One thing that Iā€™d love the Ecosystem Collective to focus on in the future is how we might create connections between Citizens so that work is amplified vs. duplicated.
  • Lots of people are keen to educate around Gitcoin Grants in particular, how can we incentivize and enable just as much passion and participation for building cool things on Allo
  • There is a large opportunity to deepen our presences in LATAM through keen Citizens. I noticed that a lot are focused on onboarding folks into Gitcoin Grants ā€“ how can we work with them to help us build more connections to onboard DAOs onto Grants Stack and/or Allo

One thing that Iā€™m really excited about is @rohit and @harryeastham are currently working on detailing and socializing where and how Citizens can add the most value to our ecosystem so that weā€™re all more aligned strategically and can move forward with much more clarity and direction.

6 Likes

Thanks to @krrisis and the entire Citizenā€™s team for facilitating signal boosting this time! Iā€™m fascinated to read others explanations of their funding and am posting my own below.

Methodology:
I interpreted the purpose of signal boosting to bring focus on the most impact projects in the round. I decided to focus my allocations on a small number of high impact projects vs dividing it broadly. Though there were many wonderful applications, I narrowed it down to 5 by taking a list of about 40 high-impact contributions from some other signal boosters ( @jon-spark-eco , @Viriya and @CoachJonathan and @ccerv1 ). I reviewed those all with a specific focus on efforts that drive Allo GMV which is our north star for 2024.

Allocations:
1- Carl Cervone and OSO. Carl contributed some awesome OSO data to the gitcoin whitepaper that has helped promote gitcoin 2.0 and onboarding more partners.

2- Lana Dingwall is training more individuals to operate grants rounds and experimenting with impact measurements like hypercerts that directly address a scaling pain for grants (proving ROI of money spent)

3 + 4- Graven and Stefano had the best applications I saw ā€“ clear demonstration of work and impact on Streaming Quadratic Funding. Their work is driving GMV with new Allo builds

5- Ygg Anderson and tunable QF. Tunable QF creates new quadratic funding algorithms that allow grants managers to more precisely allocate grants based on their goals, addressing pain points we heard from round managers recently about how ā€œscaryā€ standard QF can be without a way to tune results algos.

Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/MegLister/status/1779948818634879332

3 Likes

Firstly, it was an honour to be chosen to be a signal booster for Citizens Retro #3. I see it as a responsibility to intentionally allocate these funds, and itā€™s a beautiful gift to be able to signal the impact that I have personally seen through the work of our amazing Citizens.

My role at Gitcoin has encompassed a few key areas (Iā€™ve worked across most teams) over the past 1.5 years, and most recently I became solely focused on Gitcoin Grants. This role has allowed me to become even more front and center in and amongst many of the community members for some time. So before I began my reviews, I decided that I would focus on the work most visible to me regarding the work each applicant was applying for in this round. Fwiw I did go through each applicant in the round and where applications stood out to me I made sure to dig in a bit more into what they were doing.

Things I also kept in mind: whether the work was already funded (and how) and/or how clear the application was RE: impact and work done. Metrics really helped!

I also decided that I would allocate the funds equally across the selected individuals, as I felt this was most fair. Further and more comprehensive rubrics, and additional information from the applicant, would need to be set in place if I was to add an extra layer, AND that being said I wouldnā€™t have the equal amount of insight into each personā€™s work either. So an equal distribution it was!

I began with making a list of individuals that met the above criteria: I either had a clear visibility into their work or their application on its own really stood out to me. I ended up with a list of 25 individuals.

I then did a further evaluation with the following criteria: 1) Impact of their work on the broader Gitcoin ecosystem 2) How the work served the Gitcoin community 3) Intentionality behind their work and its alignment to what Gitcoin is building.

These are the individuals that, in the end, received my vote and were the top 10. Iā€™m happy with the results and Iā€™m personally really excited to see more of the work of these applicants in the ecosystem! I also tried to create a diverse allocation across a few areas of work.

• KarlaGod: A citizen thatā€™s been around for a while now, and I have been blown away by how sheā€™s injected herself into our support channel on Discord the past while. Being able to actively support our community is an important piece, especially during a busy time like Gitcoin Grants and Iā€™ve seen how much time sheā€™s put into this!
  • Rodrigo: He translated the Gitcoin 2.0 Whitepaper (and all the infographics!) into Spanish. I find itā€™s such a wonderful initiative to educate the Spanish community about Gitcoin and I admire his passion and dedication to this. He was also a very active volunteer at ETH Denver.
  • Carl Cervone: The mastermind of data and a longtime Gitcoin maxi, Carlā€™s work within the Gitcoin community extends out further than purely being a great steward! He is always innovating new ways to interpret and evaluate information within our ecosystem, namely his work with OSO has been incredibly valuable and has helped shape our own OSS Program.
  • Kris: Iā€™ve had first hand experience of how deeply Kris works on the Citizens Round. He goes over and beyond what is required of him and I think heā€™s done a wonderful job at shepherding the Citizens round into what it is today. He has always been and remained an integral part of our community ā€“ watching our backs and pushing us all to improve.
  • Luciano: Everything heā€™s built at FundPG, as well as just each and every idea he has to continuously level up how Gitcoin shows up and where we could make a more meaningful impact speaks volumes to the impact. His understanding of Gitcoin and its place within the public goods ecosystem makes him an incredibly valuable citizen!
  • Rohit: Love whatā€™s being built through GrantScope and how it serves the community to make more informed decisions about funding during rounds!
  • Izzy: He consistently shows up ā€“ whether itā€™s to provide support during GP rounds, manage rounds, volunteer or just lend a hand in dogfooding Gitcoinā€™s products, Izzyā€™s there! Love to see the experiments that heā€™s involved in.
  • Graven & Stefano: What strong applications! Because of the work they both did on the Streaming Quadratic Funding (SQF) pilot I evaluated them in tandem. This was a really strong use case of driving Allo GMV - love to see it!
  • Jon Ruth: Impact tooling WIZARD! The amount of work Jon has put in to fulfill his passion around impact tracking is astounding! And the work heā€™s doing at CCN has been inspiring to watch.

Thank you again for choosing me to be a signal booster, as well as thank you to each and every citizen that contributes to Gitcoin. If youā€™re not on my list, it doesnā€™t mean that I donā€™t find your work meaningful! I did my best to put my biases aside and evaluate the work in the most subjective way.

At the time of donating, the signal boosting funds were at a value of around $1,440. Here is my donation history.

A reflection for future applicants: for those who have already received funding, it would be helpful to understand the updates/extra work thatā€™s been done since the last round of funding received. I find it would be easier to evaluate that against others who havenā€™t received any funding at all. Just food for thought!

5 Likes

Itā€™s been so inspiring to see the time and energy signal boosters have put into their selection, so much respect.

Important disclaimer: As a reviewer and round operator I appreciate every single one of these contributions tremendously. My initial thought for this reason was to equally divide the received amount, but this would defeat the purpose of this experiment.

I did however want to keep somewhat of a neutral position, and mostly signal to (future) participants what I personally value and deem impactful for Gitcoin, as one of the people who has been so lucky to be a core team member since the start of this DAO. For this reason I have waited until the very last day to add my thoughts here. Anyway, enough said, ready to take off one hat, and put on another one!

So what Iā€™ve done is basically stolen from all and I gave to everyone.

MeninTightsCareyelwesGIF

Iā€™ve read everyoneā€™s assessments and then came up with my own very subjective evaluation, scoring everyone from 1-5. A lower score is not a bad thing, it can mean a number of things - the grantee seems to have been rewarded sufficiently before or during this round, or seems to have a very high QF coefficient at this moment, or other signal boosters have already amplified this work enough. This little tool created by one of our Citizens (thx @DeFiTeddy) came in very handy.

My angle is mostly the community engagement side of things, which I think we generally under-reward at Gitcoin, for the simple reason that its impact and ripple effect is not always so easy to measure. And our community is our lifeblood. Next to this round operators definitely score high - after 3 rounds I definitely know the time this takes. :slight_smile:

So here you can find some comments (forked from laura & coachj, kept some as is bcs they nailed it), and in there also more detail on how I calculated my donations.

Special shoutout to my top 5:

You can find my donation history here, and the transaction here!

A few more hours to add your own signal boosting, donate here!

5 Likes

Amazing!!!

Excited to see the citizens that are voted for :blush:

Thank you so much :blush: Mathilda, this means a lot coming from you.

1 Like

Itā€™s a privilege to be a signal booster in this round! As I summarized over the Twitter Space, hereā€™s more context on the three criteria I applied. I contributed to 26 grantees equally that either (a) stood out with distinction in at least two criteria below or (b) met one criterion but with a unique, high-quality impact.

Criteria #1: Longitudinal work

Web3 mimics evolution where not every project sees the end of a cycle successfully, but when groups of projects/people begin to cohabitate in the same evolutionary niche, they begin to evolve together. This criterion rewards grantees working across market cycles to help evolve Gitcoin. Some specific attributes include:

• resilience and adaptability of the effort
  • continuously innovate beyond their original scope
  • adaptation in response to new challenges and opportunities

Criteria #2: Resiliency in thoughtware

Who the founders are is critically importantā€¦it is their lived experience that generates ideas (Freada Klien)

This criterion recognizes efforts that help onboard creators and problem solvers from different walks of life into the Gitcoin ecosystem. Including individuals from varied backgrounds enriches the platform, allowing the concepts and tools offered by Gitcoin to reach and resonate across different global communities and use cases. Some specific attributes include:

• range of content that cater to different backgrounds and skill levels
  • outreach strategies to engage a broad spectrum of communities

Criteria #3: Multiplier effect

A pre-requisite for sustainable collaboration between Gitcoin and other communities is how the positive externalities from work built by people flow between people. This criterion rewards foundational work that others build upon, enhancing the overall impact and fostering innovation within the Gitcoin ecosystem.

• leads to new applications and innovations
  • resources that aid other projects
  • growth of community around the work
3 Likes