Signal Boosting for Gitcoin Citizens Retro #3

Firstly, it was an honour to be chosen to be a signal booster for Citizens Retro #3. I see it as a responsibility to intentionally allocate these funds, and itā€™s a beautiful gift to be able to signal the impact that I have personally seen through the work of our amazing Citizens.

My role at Gitcoin has encompassed a few key areas (Iā€™ve worked across most teams) over the past 1.5 years, and most recently I became solely focused on Gitcoin Grants. This role has allowed me to become even more front and center in and amongst many of the community members for some time. So before I began my reviews, I decided that I would focus on the work most visible to me regarding the work each applicant was applying for in this round. Fwiw I did go through each applicant in the round and where applications stood out to me I made sure to dig in a bit more into what they were doing.

Things I also kept in mind: whether the work was already funded (and how) and/or how clear the application was RE: impact and work done. Metrics really helped!

I also decided that I would allocate the funds equally across the selected individuals, as I felt this was most fair. Further and more comprehensive rubrics, and additional information from the applicant, would need to be set in place if I was to add an extra layer, AND that being said I wouldnā€™t have the equal amount of insight into each personā€™s work either. So an equal distribution it was!

I began with making a list of individuals that met the above criteria: I either had a clear visibility into their work or their application on its own really stood out to me. I ended up with a list of 25 individuals.

I then did a further evaluation with the following criteria: 1) Impact of their work on the broader Gitcoin ecosystem 2) How the work served the Gitcoin community 3) Intentionality behind their work and its alignment to what Gitcoin is building.

These are the individuals that, in the end, received my vote and were the top 10. Iā€™m happy with the results and Iā€™m personally really excited to see more of the work of these applicants in the ecosystem! I also tried to create a diverse allocation across a few areas of work.

• KarlaGod: A citizen thatā€™s been around for a while now, and I have been blown away by how sheā€™s injected herself into our support channel on Discord the past while. Being able to actively support our community is an important piece, especially during a busy time like Gitcoin Grants and Iā€™ve seen how much time sheā€™s put into this!
  • Rodrigo: He translated the Gitcoin 2.0 Whitepaper (and all the infographics!) into Spanish. I find itā€™s such a wonderful initiative to educate the Spanish community about Gitcoin and I admire his passion and dedication to this. He was also a very active volunteer at ETH Denver.
  • Carl Cervone: The mastermind of data and a longtime Gitcoin maxi, Carlā€™s work within the Gitcoin community extends out further than purely being a great steward! He is always innovating new ways to interpret and evaluate information within our ecosystem, namely his work with OSO has been incredibly valuable and has helped shape our own OSS Program.
  • Kris: Iā€™ve had first hand experience of how deeply Kris works on the Citizens Round. He goes over and beyond what is required of him and I think heā€™s done a wonderful job at shepherding the Citizens round into what it is today. He has always been and remained an integral part of our community ā€“ watching our backs and pushing us all to improve.
  • Luciano: Everything heā€™s built at FundPG, as well as just each and every idea he has to continuously level up how Gitcoin shows up and where we could make a more meaningful impact speaks volumes to the impact. His understanding of Gitcoin and its place within the public goods ecosystem makes him an incredibly valuable citizen!
  • Rohit: Love whatā€™s being built through GrantScope and how it serves the community to make more informed decisions about funding during rounds!
  • Izzy: He consistently shows up ā€“ whether itā€™s to provide support during GP rounds, manage rounds, volunteer or just lend a hand in dogfooding Gitcoinā€™s products, Izzyā€™s there! Love to see the experiments that heā€™s involved in.
  • Graven & Stefano: What strong applications! Because of the work they both did on the Streaming Quadratic Funding (SQF) pilot I evaluated them in tandem. This was a really strong use case of driving Allo GMV - love to see it!
  • Jon Ruth: Impact tooling WIZARD! The amount of work Jon has put in to fulfill his passion around impact tracking is astounding! And the work heā€™s doing at CCN has been inspiring to watch.

Thank you again for choosing me to be a signal booster, as well as thank you to each and every citizen that contributes to Gitcoin. If youā€™re not on my list, it doesnā€™t mean that I donā€™t find your work meaningful! I did my best to put my biases aside and evaluate the work in the most subjective way.

At the time of donating, the signal boosting funds were at a value of around $1,440. Here is my donation history.

A reflection for future applicants: for those who have already received funding, it would be helpful to understand the updates/extra work thatā€™s been done since the last round of funding received. I find it would be easier to evaluate that against others who havenā€™t received any funding at all. Just food for thought!

5 Likes

Itā€™s been so inspiring to see the time and energy signal boosters have put into their selection, so much respect.

Important disclaimer: As a reviewer and round operator I appreciate every single one of these contributions tremendously. My initial thought for this reason was to equally divide the received amount, but this would defeat the purpose of this experiment.

I did however want to keep somewhat of a neutral position, and mostly signal to (future) participants what I personally value and deem impactful for Gitcoin, as one of the people who has been so lucky to be a core team member since the start of this DAO. For this reason I have waited until the very last day to add my thoughts here. Anyway, enough said, ready to take off one hat, and put on another one!

So what Iā€™ve done is basically stolen from all and I gave to everyone.

MeninTightsCareyelwesGIF

Iā€™ve read everyoneā€™s assessments and then came up with my own very subjective evaluation, scoring everyone from 1-5. A lower score is not a bad thing, it can mean a number of things - the grantee seems to have been rewarded sufficiently before or during this round, or seems to have a very high QF coefficient at this moment, or other signal boosters have already amplified this work enough. This little tool created by one of our Citizens (thx @DeFiTeddy) came in very handy.

My angle is mostly the community engagement side of things, which I think we generally under-reward at Gitcoin, for the simple reason that its impact and ripple effect is not always so easy to measure. And our community is our lifeblood. Next to this round operators definitely score high - after 3 rounds I definitely know the time this takes. :slight_smile:

So here you can find some comments (forked from laura & coachj, kept some as is bcs they nailed it), and in there also more detail on how I calculated my donations.

Special shoutout to my top 5:

You can find my donation history here, and the transaction here!

A few more hours to add your own signal boosting, donate here!

5 Likes

Amazing!!!

Excited to see the citizens that are voted for :blush:

Thank you so much :blush: Mathilda, this means a lot coming from you.

1 Like

Itā€™s a privilege to be a signal booster in this round! As I summarized over the Twitter Space, hereā€™s more context on the three criteria I applied. I contributed to 26 grantees equally that either (a) stood out with distinction in at least two criteria below or (b) met one criterion but with a unique, high-quality impact.

Criteria #1: Longitudinal work

Web3 mimics evolution where not every project sees the end of a cycle successfully, but when groups of projects/people begin to cohabitate in the same evolutionary niche, they begin to evolve together. This criterion rewards grantees working across market cycles to help evolve Gitcoin. Some specific attributes include:

• resilience and adaptability of the effort
  • continuously innovate beyond their original scope
  • adaptation in response to new challenges and opportunities

Criteria #2: Resiliency in thoughtware

Who the founders are is critically importantā€¦it is their lived experience that generates ideas (Freada Klien)

This criterion recognizes efforts that help onboard creators and problem solvers from different walks of life into the Gitcoin ecosystem. Including individuals from varied backgrounds enriches the platform, allowing the concepts and tools offered by Gitcoin to reach and resonate across different global communities and use cases. Some specific attributes include:

• range of content that cater to different backgrounds and skill levels
  • outreach strategies to engage a broad spectrum of communities

Criteria #3: Multiplier effect

A pre-requisite for sustainable collaboration between Gitcoin and other communities is how the positive externalities from work built by people flow between people. This criterion rewards foundational work that others build upon, enhancing the overall impact and fostering innovation within the Gitcoin ecosystem.

• leads to new applications and innovations
  • resources that aid other projects
  • growth of community around the work
3 Likes