(1) We are inviting the community to reward Gitcoin Citizens who supported & engaged the Gitcoin community, through content, data analysis or support initiatives. Find out how to nominate candidates below!
(2) Gitcoin is adding 20K DAI (13.3K GTC*) in Matching pool funding!
(3) Open to applications meeting our eligibility criteria on Grants Stack as of Monday May 15. Apply now!
(4) Round donation dates: June 13th to June 27th.---- Yet again, another season of Gitcoin Grants is coming to a close, and yet again, even with its challenges, it has been epic. During this period your inbox and social media feed becomes a daily reminder that Public Goods are Good, with people promoting the inspiring projects they contribute to, and others sharing why and how they will be supporting them. It’s also the period when the connectooors, the ambassadors, the Gitcoin Citizens come out and bring us all together: Gitcoin, round operators, supporters and grantees.
Gitcoin Citizens are our connective tissue, they remind us all that we are more than the sum of our parts: we are a community. Today we would like to celebrate these unsung heroes and are kicking off the first Gitcoin Citizens Round, through which we will reward people & projects by allocating a matching Pool of 13.3K GTC (20k DAI), you can nominate them here or apply now!
As you can imagine, for us at Gitcoin the rounds season is quite hectic, as our grants, support, marketing, and product teams are working around the clock to support the wider community. Many of our heroes who don’t wear capes are going well over their limits in surfacing issues and collaborating until late into the night to find last-minute solutions to improve the community’s experience (Mathilda, Michelle, Jon, Daniele, Jaxcoder, Josef, Thelostone, Gravityblast, Mo, and so many others, we see you! 🙏❤️). What motivates them and keeps them going despite all known challenges? The knowledge that we are not alone; we are moving mountains with the strong support of a mycelial network of Gitcoin Citizens, supporting our ecosystem during this intense period of transition from our legacy platform towards our decentralized Grants Stack future.
The Gitcoin Grants Citizens Rounds aim to reward people and grassroots projects that have contributed to Gitcoin’s success. Specifically, these contributions involve engaging with the wider ecosystem and community. An umbrella term could be ‘Gitcoin Community Engagement’. More specifically, we aim to reward work contributing directly to Gitcoin’s ‘most important things’ and our Purpose and Essential Intents. For example, contributions in the areas of educational content, data analysis and support-oriented initiatives.
Applications for the Citizen Round officially opened on Monday May 15, and you can apply now!. Applications will run for 3 weeks, ending on June 4th, and the Gitcoin Grants Citizens Round will be open for donations from June 13th to June 27th, with a matching pool of 20K DAI (13.3K GTC*). There will be 3 Rounds in total, each with a distinct matching pool and updated criteria. You can read more here.
Today we would like to invite you to share this post within your community to surface all the unsung heroes, and let us know who deserves to be nominated for this round.. You have three options for nominating yourself or someone else to apply to the round. Pick one!
- Fill out this form
- Comment below with details on the initiative and a link to more details
- Apply on Gitcoin Builder (Coming Soon)
Awarded projects & people should have a high focus on community engagement and contribute directly to Gitcoin’s ‘most important things’ and our Purpose and Essential Intents. We intend to reward projects that primarily focus on improving Gitcoin’s community experience. Some examples of topics:
- educational content, eg. a guide on how to donate on our platform
- promotional content, eg running a twitter space to cover our rounds
- data analysis, eg. a data analysis of previous donations
- support-oriented initiative, eg. helping out users in our discord
With this first round we will focus exclusively on rewarding projects which happened in the past, i.e we will use retroactive quadratic funding.
This method does not require extensive proposals, only proof that valuable work has been done. Grant proposals will need to prove the impact they had on the community, by adding as much data available as possible, e.g. listeners of a Twitter space, reference to posts written and number of likes and views. The more data available, the easier it is for the team and the community to evaluate impact. You can find full eligibility criteria here.
Starting with retroactive funding showcases to the community how we believe Gitcoin can fund Gitcoin. Below you can find some examples of contributions we imagine to be funded this way:
- The Solarpunk Guild hosting Gitcon Beta 24/7 (!) during the entire period of Gitcoin Beta Rounds
- A coordination game organized by regens in Berlin to discuss and educate on web3 impact fundraising
- Grantee Impact Evaluations 1 by @ccerv1 ,
- Video Guide to Donating to Gitcoin on Mobile 3 by @carlosjmelgar,
- Providing support and answering user questions in Discord 2, by @jon-spark-eco,
- A BULL/BEAR case for Gitcoin/GTC in 2023 1 by @a33titude,
- Infinite Garden Coloring Book by Colton, Octavian, Owocki and Aya 2 by @Colton,
- Stewards we want to compensate because they went above and beyond supporting our DAO.
This is a very non-exhaustive list, we would love for you to add more, and tell us what happened during this round!
After the first round, we hope to see more proactive initiatives and will experiment together with our community on what is the ideal process to make this as effective as possible.
A lot more info is coming soon, but now first of all, we want to hear from you. Calling on all Citizens, make yourselves known and apply now!
* Based on GTC price at the time of writing