Questions about Gitcoin DAO voting (for an academic article)

Hi folks,

My name is Dr. Paul Dylan-Ennis and I am working on an academic article where Gitcoin DAO is the case study. I’m currently working my way through the DAO’s documentation and have some questions that only hardcore DAO members could answer!

(a) The Gitcoin DAO governance process (Gitcoin DAO Governance Process v3) tells me:

‘Before a proposal can go to a vote, it must be posted in the appropriate category on the forum for review and comment by the community.’

However, I often find proposals that don’t adhere to the template:
‘Proposals brought to the forum must be in the format required by the Gitcoin Community Proposal (GCP) template and address the considerations set out in Table 2: Required Information, above.’

(b) The governance process says a proposal must be: '* Be available for review and comment for at least 5 days, and * Receive input from at least 5 stewards not connected to or working with the proposal/with workstream (any stewards part of the proposal should also be disclosed). ’

Do you think people follow this or is it generally ignored?

3 Likes

I am not really aware of any proposals going to vote that have not been posted in the appropriate area and honored our 5 day, 5 steward process. We have a couple of folks who help us track this to confirm a vote is legitimate and should be respected. Everyone (AFAIK) follows the process for fear of the votes not being passed.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks @kyle

Sorry, I meant that many proposals don’t always follow the template:
‘Proposals brought to the forum must be in the format required by the Gitcoin Community Proposal (GCP) template and address the considerations set out in Table 2: Required Information, above.’
But I think that’s maybe not a huge deal.

And that is perfect regarding the 5 days/steward process. I just wanted to make sure.

1 Like

It is generally followed, however you can find exceptions. In my own investigations related to the exceptions, the root cause is typically a mistake or oversight vs. an attempt to shortcut the process. Issues like this have been captured in a “v4” document where we are collecting anomalies that might/might not need to be adjusted.
@polarpunklabs, I would be happy to field any additional questions you may have.

Oh interesting, is v4 being worked on now and what stage is it at? Would be great to talk to someone involved in that process.