[PROPOSAL] - Integrate dCompass within dGitcoin to build dQuests & dKnowledge

I would love to vote “Yes” for this initiative (even to contribute towards it : p) because I feel such initiatives are going to lay the ground for the “education on web3” platforms. It also makes me happy that the learning can be self-paced and can possibly rely on both incentivized and non-incentivized mechanisms as needed. Also, it holds true to the multi-faced nature of DAOs where one “combined” action is leading to multiple outputs of onboarding, contribution and contributor management, learning, a compilation of info and view-points from multiple actors, honestly once successfully implemented, many more processes can be experimented with a similar framework. I think the plug-and-play contribution opportunity will also pull in more diverse and niche participation.
GitcoinDAO can really make use of such an initiative, imo, it will increase participation as well as improve the efficiency of “work done” in general.

7 Likes

For this part, definitely I will vote yes.
I hope the open ticketing system would be available very soon.

5 Likes

I’m supportive of this initiative and am excited to welcome the dCompass team to the Decentralize Gitcoin workstream. I think that we can help to get them going very quickly and share knowledge and resources which will be mutually beneficial! Some great things will come out of this initiative.

4 Likes

Yes I am also supportive of this proposal. Count me in and count on the support of the FDD Policy Group to help achieve your vision Huxwell.

3 Likes

I too am supportive of creating a complete experience around Quests and knowledge. Happy to provide product support to see this vision come to life.

I’m sure there’s alot of Gitcoin Quests feedback that we can dig up that may provide user fodder and experiences that help to build this narrative.

3 Likes

Hi there! There is some feedback that we can probably dig in from the GitHub the big ‘gitcoin quests’ feedback thread

And see the “Other Quests Treads” at the end of the post on GitHub, it might be a great place to start to collect feedback!

2 Likes

Thanks for your amazing support everyone!

The proposal has been published on Snapshot and we need your help!
Every vote counts, no matter the amount! Get your voice heard by
voting on Snapshot here :partying_face:

4 Likes

We are super excited to the idea of joining the Decentralize Gitcoin workstream! We have a lot to learn from them. And also a lot of knowledge & resources to share.

Please check out the dGitcoin budget request
DECENTRALIZATION FTW:rocket:

4 Likes

I like the ideas behind dCompass and gamification around incentivizing contributions and the budget seems logical.

As I have mentioned in other proposals I would really love to be able to see dollar amounts instead of GTC, as this is meant to be money to spend within 3 months from now.

Regardless I will be voting yes.

5 Likes

I would love to support this not only by voting, but by actually contributing to the dCompass Worksteam :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I would like to contribute too and have applied.

1 Like

December 2021 update:

• Our proposal is live for voting on Tally.

• We are looking for new contributors, learn more here: December 2021; Who's hiring? - #3 by Huxwell

• Gitcoin Knowledge Base v1 will be released next week under a Gitcoin repo and domain. It will contain the FAQs as well as the code of conduct & policy. A sourcecred instance will watch that new repo to reward contributions to the new Knowledge Base.

• dCompass now allows users to submit a project for review. Reviewers are able to approve or reject it. If approved, an NFT gets minted for each contributor. The next step is to work on the course & quest creation in conjuction with creating the “get started with FDD” handbook.

• GR12, Gitcoin building dGitcoin round: here’s our grant
    if you’d like to contribute to dCompass.

Thanks for your support! :octopus: :computer: :rocket:

4 Likes

Congrats Hux! This is passed on Tally. LFG!

5 Likes

Thank you for your amazing support Joe!
This wouldn’t have been possible without you.

4 Likes

Hey everyone, after 3 months of hard work from the dCompass and Gitcoin contributors we have some updates to share.

Q4 2021 retrospective

Contributors: 5 full-time & 6 part-time
Funds spent: 11 859 GTC
Funds carrying over the next quarter: 14 286 GTC
Have the actions of the workstream brought back value into the DAO/treasury?
Not yet but we do expect to generate value and revenue by the end of Season 13.
Milestone 1 & 2 achievements - [v] = success = failure
[v] Enable user to create a new project
[v] Enable project owner to create a pathway and/or a quest (bonus: anyone can submit a pathway or a quest and project owners can approve or reject those)
[v] Build Github action for uploading files to Filecoin and IPFS (kudos to @kammerdiener that fixed a blocking issue with the Github action)
[v] Enable image upload using Web3.storage & NFT.storage
[v] Control access of access, approvers and minting of NFTs
[v] Keep track of pending eligible addresses for future minting
[v] Use identity-link services to link Github account to DID & Ethereum Address (bonus: Twitter account linking)
[x] Will track contributors activity using a sourcecred instance for the Knowledge Base
The sourcecred integration with the Github repo was a failure because not all contributors would commit directly to the Knowledge Base. An alternative would be to handle some part of the compensations based on a #did-a-thing channel on Discord where contributors can post their work and others react with emojis.
For now we’re compensating contributors based on human evaluation but we’re always willing to experiment new compensation frameworks.
A great product person recently joined us for Q1 and we will work with contributors to create, document and evaluate tasks. Based on the evaluation of the task we’ll assign it a weight and a budget which could lead to a more meritocratic compensation system.

[x] Gitcoin Gitbook Knowledge Base v1

Some clarification on dKnowledge, I was naive and did make a mistake thinking that we could have an open source web3 knowledge base with that much information and different stakeholders in such a short timeframe.
It would be more reasonable to keep the Gitcoin Knowledge Base as a project internal to Gitcoin (support + core/knowledgable members).
So dKnowledge is more shifting towards a squad of digital/crypto native content writers and translators that can create handbooks, tooling guides and onboarding steps
→ GitBook still needs to replace the current Gitcoin support page but the current state of the Gitbook is that we have all the previous FAQs on there, available in English, Chinese and French.
In addition to that, the dKnowledge squad is working on handbooks to facilitate onboarding in the Gitcoin DAO and its tools and workstreams.

January 2022 update

• Last friday we’ve deployed our staging app https://dcompass-staging.herokuapp.com/ (it works better on the devs computer but there’s a demo video coming soon)
    We’re still actively working on it but it can be used to dogfood the product and hopefully to demo an alpha release for Schelling Point.
    All the projects, pathways, guides etc are there for testing purposes and we do not claim to be partners of any brand that is present on the platform.
    If you run into any problem or have suggestions, please create an issue on Github Issues ¡ Discovery-Labs/dCompass ¡ GitHub
  • Work in progress and focus for Q1 2022 is mainly around pricing for projects, pathway/quest completion and reward allocation & distribution.
  • We’re still actively looking for devs and UX/UI designers.

Thanks for your support! :octopus: :computer: :rocket:

7 Likes

Shout out to this team of buidlers for hitting the bulk of deliverables despite being seriously under resourced. Super proud of what you have achieved and delivered. Your success will gather talent to your team. Onwards and upwards :heart: :partying_face:

4 Likes

The update is quite comprehensive, Hux! Kudos to the team :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Huxwell - I appreciate the update. Im having a hard time understanding the site. There are Projects, Quests and Badges.

Are Projects going to be a collection of Quests? ie, if I want to learn more about a Project, I can go to that project, then discover their quests? Did I have the intention of Project correct?`

More specifically, does this solve one of the identified problems?

I was also surprised by the fee to post a project. Why have you decided to charge people to post projects?

One of the customary actions for all things being built by the Gitcoin Community is to use some call out that it is being built by the Gitcoin Community. I wonder if you are trying to keep this independent or affirm you are part of Gitcoin through this work?

2 Likes

Yes, you got the idea! I invite you to watch this recent demo to understand the structure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUPT0L8voLo but those are the 3 main entities:

• Project

• Pathway (collection of quests within a project)

• Quest (challenge within a pathway)

Yes, I do think that it would help a lot of people to understand what a project is about by having fun instead of being overwhelmed.

The pricing page is still a work in progress but the idea behind this is to make sure people aren’t spamming project submissions because each project goes through a review process before being “published” on the dApp.

It is also a way of creating revenue without extracting value from the end user.

I will change the footer to reflect that it’s built by the Gitcoin Community and I can affirm we’re part of Gitcoin through this work.

However, when the project will be mature enough, we plan to create Discovery DAO.
The responsibilities of that DAO will be to maintain and govern the dCompass project.

4 Likes

I appreciate your candor. Thanks for this update.

2 Likes