Is an anon mode helpful for Gitcoin?

I have been researching how DAOs make decisions and I am curious about anonymity. Since this feature is possible on discourse and is easy to enable:

1. Have we considered enabling it here
  2. If yes, why, if not, why not?

My thesis is that optional anonymity would allow users to communicate candidly without needing to create a throwaway account, and would love your feedback on this.

2 Likes

If you’re referring to anonymous commenting in Discourse, the main reason we don’t do this is because of bots and spam.

That said, I do see the advantage of both 1) anonymous comments and 2) anonymous, private voting (not just shielded voting, but hiding of the final tally as well and just returning a y/n pass).

I’m currently working with a group called Fractal on 2).

If you have any suggestions on 1) that would minimize bot/spam action, please let me know. I’m happy to run some experiments to see if this feature gets used often and creates more productive conversations.

3 Likes

TBH that’s something we figured could happen. I have always thought that a reputation system (like stackoverflow) would be useful in gating certain features. (So you are not allowed to post until you lurk/ upvote, then comment for a while)

Of course, that would mean someone needing to create a proposal on Gitcoin would first need to ‘grind’ for a bit, or have accumulated Karma in some other way

2 Likes

Could be of great benefit in filtering applicants - let’s say if there was an anon time during the review period where the community could point out inconsistencies and where the grant review process should be focused to ensure a more even outcome.

2 Likes