H2 Proposal [Budget] - Grants Labs

This budget proposal is a follow up to the Grants Lab H2 Strategy, posted earlier this week: H2 Proposal [Strategy] - Grants Labs

This budget proposal covers H2 2024 (July - December.) We want to be lean, but not hungry, with our overall budget. We have trimmed down expectations for travel and miscellaneous expenses for H2 2024. We only have two anticipated new hires, a Principal Engineer and a Social Media Manager. We expect to cease hiring for the next 6+ months after the positions are filled – we have put a huge effort into filling key leadership roles at the start of this year, exiting folks who are not aligned with our talent bar or mission, and now have the resources we need to succeed.

Headcount:

With the winddown of the Ecosystem Collective, we are moving RPP (Owocki, two engineers, and EA) into Grants Lab to create more coordination between engineering, embrace our multi-mechanism future, and more holistically resource our bets. We are also retaining a Brand Manager on the marketing team and filling the needed social role above which is left vacant with the ECC spindown. This accounts for the headcount budget increase of ~$85k/mo.

Additionally, you’ll see a severance line item for July. As part of our ongoing efforts in building the right team this year, we gave all Grants Lab contributors the opportunity to opt into the next chapter or choose a severance package and opt out. This is a common tactic at organizations that are undergoing cultural or strategic shifts like we have. Two of our 18 contributors opted out; we’re grateful for their contributions and wish them the best.

Consultants:

This line item will rise substantially for Q3 and remain higher in Q4. The primary driver of this is our retention of Wonderland at $40k/mo for engineering and protocol leadership. We’re really excited about the quality of talent that they bring to our protocol and dev tools effort. Additionally, working with Wonderland provides us flexible engineering capacity, which we plan to exercise with an additional engineer during Q3 to lead an indexer improvement effort. We are also transferring some legacy RPP costs into Grants Lab in this bucket, in particular a monthly $20k contract with Raid Guild. Raid Guild works on projects that have high GMV potential but represent one-off builds that are not part of our core stack.

Software:

This line item remains mostly flat for H2. We are taking on some costs from the EC, including website hosting, Figma, and KYC tooling which accounts for a slight increase.

Travel:

This line item should also remain flat for H2. We are decreasing our regular travel budget as we don’t use it as much outside of popular events (EthCC, EthDenver, and Dev Con.) The $15,000 spend in November represents DevCon costs, which are particularly high given that many leaders are traveling from North America and Europe.

G&A and Miscellaneous:

G&A was a catch-all bucket that we have deprecated now that we have better tracking of individual line items. We are opting for better tracking and tighter budgets over the traditionally requested safety net of funds.

The biggest line item in the miscellaneous bucket is audits – we plan to spend $75k on the Allo 2.1 audit in Q4, and likely $15-25k on an audit for new mechanisms before the end of the year. The cost of that new mechanism is distributed across various months.

Budget Request

The total budget requested is $2,646,608 for July - December 2024.

This budget was requested in late July because Grants Lab was anticipated to have sufficient remaining funds from the Q4 2024 funding cycle (across PGF, GSD, GS, and Allo) to cover July expenses. Due to token volatility, Grants Lab requested a 150,000 USDC loan from CSDO to cover part of July expenses, which will be paid back once a budget successfully passes.

H1 spend: $2,505,655, including Grants Lab, Allo, and Public Goods Funding

H2 projected spend: $2,646,608 (includes all of the above + some absorbed responsibilities from Ecosystem Collective)

Current Treasury:

The current treasury can be found at 0xd1f5d2A59Ef194aE00F27b2DA6599ce207ddE7cB and is summarized below.

Conclusion

Feedback is welcomed on this budget request as well as the strategy post! H2 Proposal [Strategy] - Grants Labs

6 Likes

TL;DR:

Gitcoin’s Grants Lab proposes a budget of $2,646,608 for H2 2024, covering operational costs, new hires, consulting, software, and audits.

Key Differences:

• Before: H1 spend of $2,505,655 covering Grants Lab, Allo, and Public Goods Funding.
  • After: H2 budget of $2,646,608 with increased headcount and consulting expenses.

Pros:

• Supports strategic hiring (Principal Engineer and Social Media Manager).
  • Enhances engineering capacity with consultants from Wonderland.
  • Allocates funds for crucial audits and software tools.

Cons:

• Increased budget requires careful financial management amid token volatility.
  • Dependency on consulting services may lead to higher long-term costs.
  • Significant allocation for travel and severance may reduce flexibility for other expenses.

Thank for this @meglister. The new leadership roles in Grants Lab are already making a significant impact, and the shifts in structure that you and the team are implementing are going to prove fruitful in the 2nd half of this year. Getting the spend down wasn’t easy and we have so much opportunity ahead of us. Appreciate the work you do. :black_heart:

I am supportive of this budget, looking forward to see what can be done to advance Gitcoin towards its north star in H2 2024.

1 Like

I am supportive of this budget request and look forward to continuing working with this team (including the new leadership team members) to make things happen in 2H

I support this budget, for H2 2024.
Glad to see the hard working from @meglister and her team.
It is bear market, and all is 10x harder than before.

This should be highly attention, not sure if Gitcoin team has long term plan.

E.g after token lunch, it takes 3-4 years to run, and I didn’t know what is our significant income (or donations) for now. (maybe I am wrong or miss some key information)

1 Like

I am supportive of this budget. I appreciate @bobjiang’s comments on referencing the runway situation but that’s not a blocker for me. Best of luck to the Grants Labs team in H2.

I have to say that I’m highly impressed with the new hires on the leadership team. I believe this was a great move in strengthening Gitcoin’s position as we continue to evolve. I also know the leadership team is working hard to streamline to ensure a long runway ahead, which I appreciate.

I am supportive of this request and am feeling optimistic about what we can achieve in H2.

Also supportive of the budget request.

I would love to see more revenue generating work, or token utility in the product. I recognize that cant happen without funding the work though.

3 Likes

Thanks all for the comments & support – especially @bobjiang @ccerv1 @kyle for the pushes around runway and revenue forecasting! I need to more fully shift from “here’s a budget request for my workstream” to “here’s the business line we’re building.” At an offsite with Owocki & Rena today & tomorrow, but will update this post to include that as soon as I can!

5 Likes

Agree with the above commentary - seems like we are on a great path with the re-org and new hires. With the recent downturn in market, being hyper-conscious of our spending is key. Meg, Rena, and Owocki taking the time to meet this week in person to discuss the future of Gitcoin is much appreciated! Looking forward to more updates.

1 Like

Also supportive of the budget request.

Definitely tough to see token price declining during the market downturn so appreciate the intentional focus on holding costs! +1 to Kyle’s comments particularly about additional token utility as Passport spins out.

1 Like

Love the idea about here the business we are building, how about add one more comment,

• how long can we get revenue from our business,
  • and/or setup the roadmap for revenue.

Agree with Kyle’s comments as well (@kyle )
We need more revenue generating work.

2 Likes

This snapshot has closed and option to “Yes, approve the budget request” has won.

Metrics:
1048 unique wallets voted
~2.7M GTC tokens cast.

Thank you to the author for the proposal and to all the GTC token delegates who cast their vote.

https://snapshot.org/#/gitcoindao.eth/proposal/0xd82b0fea20b638ff1c21578a6307373c9a39186ec168bc0a1d6f3c0371481412

1 Like