[Discussion & Feedback Request] Gitcoin Program Beta Round Eligibility

This is a really interesting idea @ccerv1! Ideally the website link that is provided would serve as this form of proof but of course not all website adequately provide this sort of information or context. Perhaps a form with a set of leading questions that was included as part of the application process could help with this. Would be great to talk more about this idea and what it could look like in practice.

2 Likes

This makes sense to me. One thing I would add is that we should distinguish between which rules would apply to any round in the quarterly grants program including featured rounds and which would be specific to only some sub set of rounds. One of the great things about the program now being decentralized is we can have different criteria for different rounds. We for sure want to have some general rules that apply across the board in the program, for example rules around sybil or hate speech but some other rules may not make sense for every different round.

I agree with the reasoning behind this but worry about the implementation during the Beta and what that experience will be like for donors and grantees. Really to me this makes the case for prioritizing jet fuel QF.

2 Likes

This looks great! Love the updates and thank you for making all the information clear and concise. Happy to be here and thank you for all the support and everything thatā€™s gone into making this happen.

3 Likes

I like the eligibility, just wondering how it may apply to existing projects just now making their way to web3. As an example: As part of my ā€œImpact Onboardingā€ strategies, Iā€™m working to onboard NGOs that have a proven track record, so they can adopt the tech to gamify their efforts and report impact transparently. Does this mean they would have to be in web3 for 3 months or am I misunderstanding that?

We should try to make the reporting easy by offering a wireframe for this. Something like ā€œlist 5 impactful projects you used funding for since the last round.ā€

4 Likes

Hi there Pedro Marques here from RMTerra and first time here on Gitcoin , we are very interested to know more how to be elegible for a grant too. Can anyone explain me how to participate and what the steps need it?

Thank you very much, really appreciate your help!

1 Like

There is a challenge around DEI here. It is caught in a scarcity trap. We donā€™t prioritise it and so we continue to miss the benefits of diversity in the ecosystem. How might we shift our values enough to recognize the opportunity cost we continue to incur in the absence of more diverse participation?

4 Likes

This is a good opportunity for DEI projects and their communities to become more active in the forums. I donā€™t think itā€™s easy for most people who arenā€™t personally affected by DEI challenges to actively work to improve this situation. Itā€™s also not easy feeling underrepresented and taking the initiative to be one of the first to advocate for yourself and your community. A good solution could be to encourage a few of the more vocal leaders nudging others to express their opinions/ concerns in between rounds, even starting now for the next round instead of waiting until itā€™s too late. Iā€™ve been pushing the LatAm community to do this, but havenā€™t seen much participation so I have to push harder.

3 Likes

In our case, directed.dev leads to a rabbit hole of information for the visitor who is interested (eg Public Notion page, then progress updates/newsletter, or whitepaper). Thereā€™s also plenty on our Twitter and, most importantly, the vlog series that I started to document the work behind the scenes, e.g. us trying the onboarding to crypto in our pilot school in Kenya. I canā€™t include links but if you search for ā€œLaunching a Web3 Charity #10, Kagumo High School!ā€ then youā€™ll see

2 Likes

Hey all! Make sure you see the follow up post here:

and feel free to still drop feedback and thoughts in that thread

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with this statement.
I definitely understand that it makes sense in the context of Rotki.
However, personally, I collaborate loosely with multiple teams and on multiple projects. Its just so happens that its much easier to have one github org than multiple. Your proposal would take a lot more time on red-tapping and unnecessary line toeing. Honestly, sounds a bit self-righteous.

1 Like

The easiest way is not always the best way. Thanks for sharing your opinion. We will agree to disagree here.

1 Like

Ok so this was my first time applying for the beta round for one ! My project got rejected probably I wasnā€™t able to explain my idea properly but I would like to emphasise it would be great if some sort of feedback is provided at the time of rejection. We donā€™t know why the projected was rejected even before the round even after putting so much effort in to it

4 Likes

Full support for your ressources, really perfect to learn new aknowledges

2 Likes

I think this new section is really important to create a mutual ground, culture and communication style. Proactive and projects that contributing space both to create a better ~vibe~ and inform and keep engaged can be prioritized for the round eligibility.

Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

I would still suggest a way for the community to have visibility and a say in the eligibility process

2 Likes

I wanna leave some feedback here for the DEI round selection process.

I understand that this is the first time such a round is being organised and there can be nuances in selecting the right projects. The problem specially arises with ā€˜1DAO/org=1 applicationā€™ policy, if a DAO has several projects listed under its application, and some of those projects clearly fit under the DEI category based on other similar projects which have been selected, but then the DAOsā€™ application in question does not get selected because the application does not specifically fit into the DEI round, then this causes friction between reviewers and policy making.

Iā€™d also like to express my dissatisfaction at the inability of reviewers to correctly implement ā€˜1DAO/org=1 applicationā€™ rule. I personally do not agree with that rule, but if it is a rule then Iā€™d expect it to be evenly applied across all orgs

4 Likes

Iā€™m curious as to why our developers did not qualify for the DEI bonus roundā€¦

Both team members are of Black African heritageā€¦

We hired Jerome Buka on from Bankless DAO as our main developer for our product.

https://twitter.com/0xjerome_eth

Isaac is our smart contract developer who is also part of the black community.

https://twitter.com/i_hizick

He has been receiving his education from Web3bridge in Africaā€¦

https://twitter.com/web3bridge

We received an email :e-mail: that states that we should have disregarded the previous email stating we were deniedā€¦

Can we please get some clarification on how this decision was made and why we are receiving conflicting information :information_source: from Gitcoin???

We would like to appeal any decision to deny these developers funding from the DEI category of the Gitcoin BETA round.

4 Likes

hey @FractalVisions - replied in the other appeals thread!

But thanks for the call-out that we werenā€™t clear in this forum post about the way the DEI bonus would work.

Weā€™re aiming to be more succinct and clear and hold more exploratory conversations about how eligibility and reviews work so that we can get full community participation in the discussion. Like I said over there - would love to talk more if youā€™re up for it!

1 Like

thanks for describing details.

donating a project for good cause is always great but what happen if a project not works well. they are allowed in other round?

1 Like

Weā€™ve already been told to resubmit the appeal, so Iā€™m not sure what you are talking about?

1 Like