Rethinking FDD: defending against fraud --> optimizing capital allocation

I FULLY agree with this assessment.

This is going to be a focus for us even before Season 15. I hope you see impactful improvements in this area even before the next round budgets are approved.

We should ideate more on this as a group. There are a lot of KPIs we are tracking and continually post in the Governance Brief. I believe what I am hearing here is that we are looking for now are KPIs related to user personas rather than overall effectiveness. This would be much more symbiotic with a product driven growth strategy.

For both Identity and Grants, you would like to see behavior types clustered with user stories labeling the dominant behavior modes. This might give clear quantative insights to assist a product team with expertise in UI/UX and engineering, but less familiarity with (or time for) red team/blue team exercises, algorithmic research, and / or mechanism design. The product team may then use these insights to make better data-driven decisions.

Is this more aligned with your needs from FDD?

3 Likes

I was just referred to this thread again by someone. The intra Gitcoin snipping in this thread is a bit off-putting to at least some outside of Gitcoin.

For future readers that lack some context about the real substance of the discussion - it might be useful to watch @owocki amazing greenpill interview w/ Professor Ford regarding sybil attacks and resistance over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlDOjDu-mpU

Afaik Professor Ford is correct in that there have been decades of efforts to “eliminate” sybil attacks as they predated our reliance at Gitcoin on quadratic voting.

2 Likes

Hi @epowell101 - yea that feels like fair criticism - I tried to capture the discussion as it was going on inside FDD. It is good to be reminded not to be too blinkered. Thanks for the nudge.

2 Likes