[Request for feedback] Proposed Future for the Grant Programs and GR16 as we Transition to the Protocol

I really enjoy the way you write and articulate how you reached specific decisions.

As I already wrote above I was okay with either result so for the vote that is now open I am going to vote FOR as there is no option for a multiple choice vote :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Very clear summation of options. I voted for the proposal.

That said, as per my original post, I think shutting off the grants round to jump into the future was risky for reasons that we didnā€™t understand completely; otherwise - these reasons wouldnā€™t have been risks.

I hope we work to learn more to derisk our transition, for eg focusing on:

• protocol delivery - although we currently have experienced and motivated engineers and product folks in Gitcoin afaik the team is saying the process has not converged yet, for eg points are not predictive; i.e. we cannot look at history to predict when code will be delivered on time and on quality
  • community-centric self-adoption - DevRel isnā€™t something that can easily be bolted onto an organization that has a somewhat insular culture & that is relatively unfamiliar with being self-adopted by technical users
  • GTC utility and value - at some point the ongoing decline in the value of GTC could impact our ability to execute our transition or pivot

Organizations grow in value in large part IMO by identifying & addressing risks to their success. We have all the ingredients to address these and other risks and opportunities. Hopefully, we can use some of the breathing room gained by this proposal to build a more solid foundation.

13 Likes

Huge thanks to @J9leger for spearheading this discussion, and to the community for engaging in such a thoughtful, constructive manner. As the product lead for the Grants Protocol (and formerly of the cGrants platform), I have spent the better part of a year deep in the weeds of both tech stacks and firmly believe that this option presents our best path forward. I love that this enables us to provide funding our most dedicated grantees, while also giving us an opportunity to learn and continue building the protocol alongside the community.

7 Likes

Hi @J9leger

Thank you very much for your summary!
There are some questions from the community as following:

• Are there main round or ecosystem round in GR13?
  • What are the oldest rounds: Open Source Software, Ethereum Infrastructure, and Climate?
  • a subset of existing grantees? how to choose the subset?

looking forward to see more clear description for the option3.
thanks again!

8 Likes

Love the third option. As long as the team that is actually doing the work supports this option, I support it too!

11 Likes

This discussion is fascinating on how is it unfolding. It shares the care community stewards put into making the best decision possible.

I have one concern. Is money the only data input to be considered? Why should 5 K be the bottom line for vetting a project is trustworthy?

There are projects that have participated in at least 3 rounds but may not have raised that much due to different factors such as the Polygon network having problems, or not having the traction that others had due to its marketing strategies, influencers, and so on.

What about those projects that are relying on GR and that are in an early stage? If these projects do not have the chance to participate they most likely will be killed.

My suggestion is: Take the number of rounds participating and the promised delivered value of the project. These factors are way more important than raised money to distinguish those projects that are building public good from those not.

Excited to see the decentralized platform happening. It will enable new ways of funding the commons. Also, looking forward to Option 3 hopefully considering my suggestion.

Blessings to all, and thanks for the great work youā€™ve put into making QF and the social movement of GR.

8 Likes

This is a really good point, it would be great to have an edge case solution where projects that have been part of at least the last 2 rounds can apply to be included if they are excludedā€¦ honestly there will be lots of projects that will demand a way in and there should be some sort of way to include the ones that really were counting on this funding, so its not just nepotism and squeaky wheels that get their projects included at the last minute.

6 Likes

Its moved to a snapshot vote this week Snapshot

Lets talk soon about how best to involve the ReFiDAO community.

7 Likes

Weā€™ve been talking about having some grants that would drip to a group of related projects so that we can deal with the needs of running the alpha rounds and still include grantees in some meaningful way.

4 Likes

As a new Steward here :v: and in support of Option 1. Leaning in on the fact that we should support the focus of becoming a decentralized protocol and program as stated in the recap. I agree that while this is a hard decision to make, overall it will lead us to the North Star which is the future success of Gitcoin. Thank you to @J9leger for the recap and also for providing the context on the Ideal State Vision and going into detail where we are today. I am very impressed with this robust discussion and it reflects all aspects of Gitcoins values, a big shout out to the Gitcoin team.

I do agree that messaging will be key in all of this no matter what the final outcome is. The MMM team indeed has a monumental task ahead of them in launching the Grants Protocol successfully. All eyes are on Gitcoin, and this should be handled with kid gloves.

6 Likes

Iā€™m going to vote for the proposal as well. The sooner to the new paradigm, the better.

5 Likes

Agree with this, launching the new protocol with a splash and great set of first core and cause rounds in Q1 sounds great.

One thing I havenā€™t fully understood yet is how the user experience for donors would be different within the new protocol. I think one of the biggest values of Gitcoin is having a quarterly schelling point for the community to donate easily in one go to a range of initiatives, including cause rounds.

In my opinion, itā€™s important that the user experience is maintained and that all rounds run at the same time, with all donations being collected in one basketā€¦ cc @kevin.olsen @J9leger

7 Likes

Thanks Vincent. This is a great point to raise, and probably deserves itā€™s own post around the structure of GR17 and beyond. In GR15 and before, we have seen that there are pretty strong clusters (preferences expressed in donor behavior) between certain rounds, but not a lot of overlap with others. Youā€™re right that cause rounds see a lot of cross-donation, but this doesnā€™t play out in the data across the whole of the Gitcoin Grants program.

This is an active discussion in the DAO on how to balance the value of Gitcoin Grants Rounds as a Schelling-point with the ops burden (and the degraded user experience) of running so many rounds in parallel.

One concept Iā€™m bullish on is reframing our program as a Grants Season with cross-community clusters running concurrently, but not necessarily all clusters of rounds in the program running on the same schedule. Beyond helping to reduce the ops burden needed to support dozens of parallel rounds. This will help us target our outreach and messaging to different audiences, allow for tuning the levels of sybil and fraud prevention for different communities, and provide a hypothetical benefit of values-coherent communities driving better fund allocation through their participation in QF round-clusters.

7 Likes

So many valuable insights shared already

I want to upregulate @climateXcryptoā€™s information here. Grant funding has been ESSENTIAL to Regens Unite. Iā€™m already terrified about the potential for disruption thinking about a major upgrade.

There will be disruptions mind you. I get that right now fixing the stuff that breaks feels like a waste of time, and youā€™d much rather fix the stuff that breaks in the new version.

First principle of the Agile Manifesto:
Our highest priority is to satisfy the customer
through early and continuous delivery
of valuable software.

I appreciate the desire to get new functionality out there, and would encourage an incremental approach as much as possible. For example, I love the suggestion of requiring the passport.

This might seem like Iā€™m big-timing, but Iā€™ve been doing product development and agile coaching in lots of contexts for quite some time. Iā€™d be happy to help lift the coordination on the process side.

My last point is around the information of @umarkhaneth this is deceptive information. As many have mentioned, $5 does not spend the same everywhere. The global south will be impacted more even thought in monetary terms it looks like they rely less. Is there a way to sort on location or ad that consideration to your 5ā­ļø analysts.

8 Likes

To note, this proposal passed on snapshot with ~99.9% approval rate on Oct 28.
Metrics:
687 unique votes
~12M GTC tokens cast.

Thank you to everyone who commented and help shape this proposal & to the voters who turned out some really sold voting metrics.

You can see the results of the vote here

8 Likes

Thanks for confirming!

I also wanted to share my observation that five token holders comprise over 50% of GTC. Iā€™d be curious to hear how other people in the community feel about this.

There isnā€™t a lot of diversity in terms of the representation of the core holders either, which probably helps explain why the consensus leaned so strongly in the direction it didā€¦

If Gitcoin is pushing hard to decentralize their software infrastructure at the expense of funding founders from marginalized communities, I would encourage an open dialogue about building a more diverse representation of token holders who are incentivized to actively participate in governance and strategic direction.

Gitcoin provides a critical stream of funding for hundreds of projects creating positive externalities. Would love to see some of the diverse leaders in these communities gaining ownership in Gitcoin and having a vested interest in itā€™s success.

Iā€™m sure this conversation has been catalyzed elsewhere and is being deeply considered, so apologies if it is redundant!

Lots of love Gitcoin fam :pray:t3:

10 Likes

Soy hispano hablante y estoy interesado de participar de las grants

1 Like

Thanks for confirming!

I also wanted to share my observation that five token holders comprise over 50% of GTC. Iā€™d be curious to hear how other people in the community feel about this.

3 Likes

To Begin with, I had a look through the study conducted between @Joel_m @erich & @GlenWeyl
and without a doubt it is just plain impressive, the amount of effort and thought process being put in to make the process of Quadratic funding flawless and evolve in the best interest of the community.

Yet at the same time I am surprised on how there is such little emphasis on such an important part of the grant process that has been put forward here by @J9leger which is the grant review process & eligibility criteria. I would agree that my understanding regarding the whole process might be limited as it hasnā€™t been long since I joined the community, yet I have read through and I couldnā€™t find much on the topic of decentralision of the grant review process. Does the community decide or is it in the hands of few individuals to to chose who participates in a funding round and who doesnā€™t. And if that is the case then there isa fair chance that deserving projects wouldnā€™t even get to be seen and assessed by the community based on the preferences of a certain individual. In other words how can we fully achieve decentralization when the entry point to whole process is clearly centralized with zero exposure to the community.

Based on my personal experience of applying to the current round and not being able to compete without any reason provided whatsoever , I have a strong stance that projects with an exactly similar theme and probably a much smaller scope have been accepted I might be totally wrong about it considering my individualistic interest which is why it should be visible to the community and be based on there consent which currently isnā€™t the case. I have been in touch with @azeem and @M0nkeyFl0wer who I believe are a great asset to the community and have totally backed my reasoning.

And while @J9leger emphasizes on the grantees frustration, who comes to the community for support yet gets denied by an individual once ā€“ without any reasoning whatsoever followed by an email (IMAGE ATTACHED) yet he never gets to be exposed to the community even once and never gets a response for all the effort he puts in not once but twice. Is this something that needs the our attention I ask?

IMG_0887

2 Likes

Nice I liked you feedback bcs we are new in platform thanks for understanding :relaxed:

1 Like