[Proposal] Redistribute GTC to Individuals Who Could Not Claim Due to Error

I think my concern having spoken to the anti sybil workstream is that ForceDAO created a grant and then did their entire raise through grants (which again, we know did not happen during a grants round). Is there an instance where the ā€œdonorsā€ were in effect purchasing their share in ForceDAO?

Is there a record of the accounts who donated actually using or being active contributors to ForceDAO? I think this is my primary reason as it is a considerable allocation of GTC and I am weary of its impact on the treasury (while we wait for a dashboard to be build showing a real time health of the treasury which I am trying to push forward). I also cannot see, and please let me know if I have missed it, any indication that the GTC will not be offloaded immediately.

I understand your points, Tardigrade and on the surface I was definitely going to vote yes because I do believe in fair distribution - but digging into it a little bit, I have a few concerns that I am unable to resolve from the info available/in the proposal. Hence my vote - I know you reached out to me on Sunday to go through the proposal and my apologies for missing a reply over the weekend.

5 Likes

Makes sense. I already voted yes, but knowing about this would have me freezing indeed.

As I mentioned on Twitter, I donā€™t care about precedents as long as proposals are legitimate, which is what your comment is questioning. Itā€™s too late for my vote, but I look forward to reading @Tardigradeā€™s reply anyway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Exactly. Look at user https://gitcoin.co/haj199 for example. This user has done one thing on Gitcoinā€™s platform ever. One $50 ā€œdonationā€ to ForceDAO. These werenā€™t donations to a project in grants. It wasnt even during a grants round!

ā€¦ and look at how well ForceDAO is doing! https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/force-dao

Was it created just to game the airdrop? I donā€™t knowā€¦

Wow, thatā€™s a lot of information all at once! I appreciate you raising these points, Simona. I think they are healthy in bringing us closer to fully understanding the nature of the problem. I spent a lot of time the last few hours researching more about this project and speaking to the affected users. I also tried reaching out to the Force team to get a better idea of the situation. Here are some of the things I was able to uncover to address your concerns:

ā€œIs there an instance where the ā€œdonorsā€ were in effect purchasing their share in ForceDAO?ā€

The research I found shows that Force and Gitcoin partnered together to host the Force prize which was an ongoing competition scheduled to take place every 6 months in the form of Gitcoin Hackathons. The grant was set up at the time to fund an operation/org to build yield strategies, and never a membership in a DAO. Based on the different sources, this appears to have always been a grant, and the team set it up in conjunction with Gitcoin. There was no portrayal of any equity compensation when it happened, contrary to speculation.

ā€œIs there a record of the accounts who donated actually using or being active contributors to ForceDAO?ā€

I spoke to some of the eligible members to ask about their contributions to Force, and the two users who make up the largest share of this proposalā€™s GTC pool (haj199 and sitnyaga) have both been active members to Force DAO. Although Force turned out unsuccessful, both these users played a part in the project. Members of the Force team who I was able to get in contact with confirmed this, noting how Haj199 was consistently active in advisory and strategy assistance, while Sytnyaga is actively assisting with the projectā€™s recent pivot to a new direction following its past difficulties.

At the end of the day, Iā€™d prefer not place words in other peopleā€™s mouths by making claims about what they will or will not do, but if my word as the creator of this proposal counts for anything, hereā€™s what I think: I personally do not believe these users will offload the GTC upon claim if this proposal passes.

There is no way to guarantee this and I say this based purely on gut instinct. As an optimist, I always try to see the truth and good in peopleā€™s words. Based on their past behavior contributing to Force and based on my interactions with them over the last few months, I think these users truly want to be active in helping govern Gitcoin.

I know I said this before, but having worked with some of these users for months on this proposal, and after listening to their great ideas and plans to contribute to Gitcoin, I think the community will benefit from their future involvement. These users are great workers and I am very grateful to have met them and learned from them in this time period. I understand there is some headwind against the proposal right now, and this saddens me. I have dedicated much time and effort to this proposal because I truly believe in it, and I tried my absolute best to get people to share my enthusiasm towards it as well. Itā€™s been a tremendous journey working on this project for so long and learning so much about how Gitcoin operates during this time period, and I canā€™t wait to undertake new projects moving forward as well.

I just ask for those of you who voted against this proposal, to reevaluate your vote based on my findings above. And if there are still those who disagree or have any other new information that I havenā€™t been made aware of to add to the discussion, I gladly welcome it and ask that you please leave a comment. The more angles we cover, the clearer I believe a decision to vote can be made.

1 Like

Fwiw, I firstly want to thank everyone for their efforts here. Itā€™s incredible to see the discussion here and the community Gitcoin has built over the last months. Seeing that the majority of votes on the snapshot voted yes, however a minority with sizable GTC allocation have flipped the vote, I feel obliged to chime in as I am a major benefactor here. Responding to @Popā€™s concern about the GTC being offloaded immediately, I will pledge to lock-up 50% of my GTC for a period of 12months and pledge the other 50% to be donated to future Gitcoin Round grants. Hopefully that also addresses @DisruptionJoeā€™s concern about my activity and benefit to the network. I would also like to say that I worked pretty closely with ForceDAO in the early days after the donation, and though the project has failed, I do not take that as a reason for this proposal to be penalized here. Performance of projects that took part in the Gitcoin Grants was never a metric that was ever used when the original airdrop was put in place to begin with. Hope this addresses some issues and hopefully the community can come through! :heart:

2 Likes

You are not interpreting this correctly. Those arenā€™t whales who flipped the vote. They are stewards who have been delegated votes by users who believe that the steward will more actively pay attention and participate in the governance.

2 Likes

I am an active GG donator and cant claim my well earned Gtc from a mistake of the Sc.Very disappointed when looking the proposal results.Well done guysā€‹:poop::poop:.Planning the spent at least half of my unclaimeable gtcā€™s in the upcoming GG rounds but i never thought the majorty of community gonna vote ā€œnoā€ for this proposal and also thanks to wisdom of these Stewards u are gonna change the worldā€‹:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks for this @haj199 - would love to get some other stewards opinion on this pledge re lock-up and grant allocation. I feel itā€™s a genuinely productive resolution to the questions I brought up and indeed grants spec does not include the expectancy of success for grantees - itā€™s something we absolutely hope for but nowhere was there a specification around it being a condition in the allocation.

I find this decision to not be generous when given the choice very disheartening and it is highly persuasive evidence that Gitcoin is talking the talk but not walking the walk.

I have given quite a bit of my time to Gitcoin the past few months and was looking forward to giving much more of my time throughout 2022. But, because of this extremely unfortunate decision to hoard when given the choice, I am questioning whether that is the correct decision (after my Schelling Point obligations conclude of course.)

Maybe I wouldnā€™t be so perturbed if we werenā€™t building the Green Pill and other regen concepts in this DAO, but we are doing that, and thatā€™s why Iā€™m here in the first place. In other words, Iā€™m a bleeding heart here for the hope WAGMIT provides to all members of the community.

I donā€™t want my good name and honourable reputation that Iā€™ve sacrificed a lot to maintain over the years attached to a degen community pretending to be regen, a community of good rhetoric but not good substance; thatā€™s worse than a degen community being honest about being degen.

Moloch won this round hands down!

Merry Coal Pill Christmas yā€™all.

Sincerely,
bestape

1 Like

Hello,

Itā€™s been a while, but Iā€™ve got some good news for all the users who were deemed eligible for the proposal above. Alberto Cevallos, the founder of the project recently announced that the project will be unwinding their operations, and will be redistributing their possession of GTC to users who were disproportionately impacted by the projectā€™s failures, and users who were mentioned in this proposal are included in that list. I am in contact with Alberto and he asked me to compile a list of eligible users.

To preserve confidentiality, if you are one of the users mentioned in the above proposal and would like to be reimbursed, please find me on the Gitcoin discord channel send me a private message with the address you wish to receive your allocation in. I will personally reach out to all of you on discord as well, but I am just bumping this message here in case you donā€™t see my message on there.

For more information about this redistribution process, feel free to check out the link below. A massive thank you is owed to Alberto and the Force DAO team for going out of their way to make things right for the users on here who were victims of an error in the redistribution process. Awesome work!

Hope this news provides some sense of closure.

Best wishes,

5 Likes

Thank you for your efforts and continuous updates here.
Publish this link in #gtc-support Discord channel.

I just caught the outcome. Deeply inspirational generosity @Tardigrade :pray: . And was well in time for Easter!!

Thank you for holding space for me during that rough patch in my life back in December; sorry my personal issues amplified my response here to an absurd degree.

For what itā€™s worth, Iā€™m very glad this community exists and Iā€™m happy my reputation is somewhat entangled with yā€™all. :heart:

ReFi Summer :slightly_smiling_face: .

1 Like