I used to think Gitcoin’s flagship product was Gitcoin Grants.
Now I’ve started to think of GitcoinDAO as a product itself, and I think our flagship product might actually be GitcoinDAO.
Why? Because GitcoinDAO is the totality of what we do and how we show up. Gitcoin Grants is just one part.
As we know, Gitcoin grants is a quadratic funding crowdfunding platform that basically works like this…
By using Gitcoin Grants to fund public goods, the community has created $52mm worth of impact. Which is great, but what you don’t see when you look at this view is the whole breadth of inputs + outputs that have come out of the GitcoinDAO ecosystem to produce this experience. You don’t see what’s below the surface. You don’t see the machine behind the machine.
The broader view of what’s going on (and the impact they create):
When you use Gitcoin Grants, you don’t see all the ingredients going into the experience. You don’t’ see the deeper outputs coming out of them. You only see the tip of the iceberg.
Another good one:
When you fully consider all thats below the surface, you see:
- Without public goods fund raising, we wouldn’t have Gitcoin Grants as we know it.
- Without fraud defense, we wouldn’t have Gitcoin Grants as we know it.
- Without product, we wouldn’t have Gitcoin Grants as we know it.
- Without marketing, we wouldn’t have Gitcoin Grants as we know it.
- Without governance, we wouldnt have Gitcoi Grants as we know it.
- Without Gitcoin Grants, we wouldnthave Gitcoin as a social schelling point for the ecosystem, we wouldn’t have KERNEL We wouldn’t have educated people about public goods as much as we have. We wouldn’t have Green Pilled. We wouldnt have nearly the same impact.
By zooming out, we focus on all of the infrastructure we need to increase our impact.
When we focus on GitcoinDAO instead of just Gitcoin Grants, We are no longer building the machine, we are building the machine that builds the machine.
What would have to be true to think of GitcoinDAO as a product? What would have to be true to treat it with the same attention to detail and conscious experience sculpting that we’ve seen brought to Gitcoin Grants?
Here are some things I think are worthy goals for a DAO designing itself: Treat each other well. Honor our customers & partners. Dogfood our own product. Decentralize as much as possible. Create as much legitimacy as possible. Create as much impact as possible. Be as inclusive as possible. Craft cohesive & world class contributor journeys.
Of course it’s not my place to say what the goals of the DAO are as I’m just one contributor among many. I’d welcome feedback from others.
One person I think is brilliant and has deep experience in DAOS who we should listen to is Tracheopteryx. In his talk at schelling point about DAOS, he talks a lot about the DAO contributor experience. He claims at each dao you need :
- process fidelity - trust that my actions will replicate in the way i expect them
- operational access - how do I access the levers of powers in the dao?
- network topography - can I see what else is in the DAO, and what they’re doing?
Another great quote from Trach’s preso:
The structure of an organizations affects it’s contributors perception & autonomy, and thus an organizations capabilities are relative to its structure.
What do you think? Is GitcoinDAO our primary product? How can we make the contributor experience for all of the “Jobs to be Done” in the DAO great?