GTC Conviction Voting dApp => Network Utility

Another question, why would we want a decay when someone unstakes? It feels like a clear signal that a person has lost ā€˜convictionā€™ in the project, and the boost should go to 0.

2 Likes

idk how to ratify this decision without going through the whole DAO voting process, but here is what i think: ethereum has a rollup-centric scaling solution, therefore i think this dapp should be hosted on a rollup.

With the numbers in that example it would grow to 12500 in 6 months (50x multiplier).

Iā€™ll let @griff and others with more experience on CV answer these. If they donā€™t Iā€™ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Iā€™ll get to building the UI/UX for bridging to Optimism then :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll make it so the network can be feature-switched and the bridging UI hidden, in case the decision from the DAO is to stay on Mainnet.

Turns out there isnā€™t a GTC token on Optimism - Iā€™ll work on refining the UX for now then, and as soon as we decide for an L2 I will deploy there.

i thought @austingriffith found a bridge? https://twitter.com/austingriffith/status/1522671723937550337?s=20&t=-5R9Lwpb8qR99SyzCQSQdw

if not we should get one over there. idk if youā€™ve had any luck @gtcchase?

1 Like

Yeah sorry. I am trying to piece together bits and pieces from here and a couple of chat rooms, and Iā€™m doing a poor job at itā€¦

1 Like

Hey there Daniele! MoonshotCollective has bridged GTC to Optimism. Here is the contract address and token view. Weā€™re currently waiting on folks over at Optimism to merge our PR so GTC can be easily selected from their bridge (Optimism Gateway)!

GTC Optimism Contract Address:

0x1eba7a6a72c894026cd654ac5cdcf83a46445b08

GTC Optimism Token View:

Let me know if that was helpful or if you had any more question!

3 Likes

That helps!

Thanks @gtcsameerth!

2 Likes

We redeployed on Mainnet, and now that the Optimism bridge supports GTC we will work to support both networks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We launched:

1 Like

heads up this is live now

how to use GTC to stake on the gitcoin grants you believe in 3 easy steps

1. go to http://voting.gitcoin.co
  2. stake your GTC on either mainnet or optimism
  3. browse to http://gitcoin.co/grants and select ā€œGTC Conviction Votingā€ as your sort order

itll look like this:

I was asked to post here and not only Twitter :sweat_smile:

So I think this is a good idea in the long run! But not for GR14. And such a last minute change should go through governance.

As it stands I would not support it because:

1. No time for conviction part to work.
  2. Unaudited contract + counterparty risk
  3. Potential tax
  4. Staking breaks delegation
  5. Lack of time for (1) ā†’ plutocracy

We would need to solve all these to have proper conviction voting,

1 Like

Iā€™m also very much interested in the ā€˜answerā€™ to this questionā€¦ Iā€™m not currently a GTC holder, but I want to be and I would like to acquire it/keep it on the chain where it has the most utility.

2 Likes

@DanieleSalatti @austingriffith do u gents have any data on how this experiment went? would you call iteration 1 a success? is there another iteration planned for GR15?

2 Likes

@owocki good question.

Thereā€™s a lot that we cannot measure, for example I would love to know how often the new sorting was used on gitcoin.co while the round was going.

That said, we think it worked great.

Some numbers:

• 23232 GTC still staked on Mainnet
  • 4760 GTC still staked on Optimism about about 60% of the total as of now
  • Highest amount staked was about 50K GTC on Mainnet - Optimism has been stable
  • 54 unique stakers across the two networks

So let me turn the question back to you, @owocki, and to the DAO: what would have to be true for us to use conviction voting as the default sorting method for next round?

1 Like

perhaps @annika this is something to include in the convo about GR15 structure?

if not, it would probably be its own proposal?

2 Likes

Is the 23232+4760 GTC thatā€™s still being staked continuing to accrue conviction bonus for upcoming rounds, or are these reset prior to each GR?

If the bonus carries over into GR15, will new staker be able to catch up in time for launch without a considerably larger amount of GTC? Or phrased differently; What percentage of their maximum conviction bonus have the GR14 stakers accumulated?

Iā€™d really like to see some strategizing around how we can ensure that this mechanism isnā€™t turning the game into an unfair rich get richer system BEFORE putting it as a default sort!

1 Like

Giveth is going to be launching GIVpower, which is something very similar to the work being done here. The first part of it, the staking and locking, rolls out is tomorrow.

There should be lots of interesting Comms around it on our twitter and it might be fun to check it out.

https://twitter.com/Givethio

3 Likes

Wow, Give is the give that keeps on giving. Thank you for the heads up :blue_heart:

2 Likes