GG22 Community Round Proposal - ENS

Proposal Template:
Name (or Topic/Theme) of Proposed Round:

• ENS Ecosystem

Overview of Round

• The GG22 ENS Ecosystem Round round is meant to support projects actively building on top of ENS.

Social Handle of Your Organization:
https://x.com/ensdomains
https://x.com/ENS_DAO

Eligibility Criteria:
Any project that is growing, enhancing, or extensively supporting ENS can apply.

Marketing Plan:
The round will be promoted through weekly calls, Twitter, and word of mouth. We also have the resources to create ideal marketing collateral.

Sample tweet: x.com

ENS Identity Round 22 Marketing Comms

Round History:
Clearly identify the round history.
ENS has run 5 Gitcoin rounds in the past

GR13: ENS Ecosystem Round
GR14: ENS Ecosystem Round
GR15: ENS Ecosystem Round
GG Beta Round: ENS Ecosystem Round
GG 20: ENS Identity

The ENS Ecosystem Working group will take on the role of round operators, comprising of the following stewards

Round Operator

Name: limes.eth
I have deep experience running Gitcoin round marketing as the leader of the most recent ENS Identity GG20 round. I also create ENS Roundups and am active on both Farcaster (49k followers) and X (3k followers).

Team Support:

Name: slobo.eth
Slobo has been an active promoter of all things ENS since 2021. He has experience running large marketing campaigns as a former CMO.

Name: 184.eth
As the official mod of both Discord and the main ENS forum, 184 has extensive experience in communicating and promoting ENS initiatives.

Alignment with Gitcoin’s Intents:
Clearly articulate how the proposed round aligns with one of Gitcoin’s GG22 intents.

ENS is in an enviable position to align with all three intents. Allo GMV: ENS Ecosystem working group will provide 50k in matching funds (2x) expected award amount. Further by supporting builders building on top of Allo: ENS is the global identity system, and a quadratic funding mechanism needs to name things, as all systems do. Enhanced support for labeling and naming will lead to a better product, not only for Allo and ENS but also for the broader Ethereum community.

Anticipated Size of the Matching Pool:
50,000 USDC
Funding Address

Advisors for This Round:
N/A – having run gitcoin rounds in the past, I have the experience neccesary to run a quality round

Funding Mechanism:
Our default plan is to use quadratic funding because it shows that broad based support.

Community Size and Engagement:
ENS is a significant project, with over 12 million names registered (2 million onchain and 10 million+ offchain). As one of the leading projects in the crypto space, ENS has achieved global adoption with integrations from major platforms such as Coinbase, GoDaddy, PayPal, and Venmo. It’s safe to say that there are millions of people in the ENS community, and we aim to continue growing it even further.

In our previous rounds, we saw hundreds of builders participate and thousands of distinct donors contribute.

Type of Projects to Fund:
We aim to fund projects that grow the number of folks using ENS. This can be done by intergrating ENS into payment systems, using ENS as the namespace on your app, or building decentralized web tools like eth.limo has done.

Estimated Number of Eligible Grantees:
We believe that 100+ grantees will be eligible to apply for this round.

Impact Assessment Plan

We intend to assess grantee impact through estimating the number of users an application, directly or indirectly, has gotten to use ENS.

Potential Conflicts of Interest

None. Although the three stewards running this round have projects that would be eligible, to avoid any conflicts, those projects are ineligible for this round.

More Information:
If you do not receive matching funds from Gitcoin, will you still participate in the round?
Yes.

3 Likes

Love seeing you return for GG22, @limes! Thank you for this proposal.

1 Like

@limes can you share any retro posts on past rounds/experience and learnings as a round operator?

1 Like

Overall i think ENS has done a phenomenal job of working with Gitcoin over many iterations. I also appreciate the high leverage provided, with 2x the matching funds ($50k) than what gitcoin would provide by itself.

The only area I scored ENS poorly was on impact assessment. You write that you would judge based on number of users, but why hasn’t that already been done with examples, given you have run so many rounds in the past?

I echo @mashal in wanting some retrospective and clearly identifying projects that won’t be accepted again because they did not make the cut in terms of impact.

Congratulations @limes ! GG22 Community Rounds Announced

1 Like