[GCP-006] - PASSED - Infinite Garden Trading Card Game

Love this @Colton! I would vote for option #1 because I think starting small is the best approach to entering this new design space.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful comments. This GCP has more than 5 responses from stewards and has been live for 12 days.

@kyle has offered to post this GCP to Snapshot and I would love to have your support on the official decision!

5 Likes

Hey Colton,

Finally had the time to read through this. I think there’s still a lot of unknowns, (also for me personally because I’m not a gamer :slight_smile: ) but I think if anyone deserves this funding it is you.

However, I will probably vote ‘abstain’, for the simple reason that I don’t think in our upcoming GCP v2 model it makes total sense for us to fund initiatives that I would consider to be purely community engagement. This post is very inspiring though, as I need to to figure out this week what the eligibility criteria for a GCP are. :sweat_smile:

In my current logic I would say this proposal belongs in the Citizens Round.
The first round is retroactive funding and you should submit your various projects separately for these I’d say.

However, I see a huge support here on your proposal (people know how much you already did for Gitcoin, and we love you for it), so that is why I would definitely not vote no, but will stick with an abstain, as more detailed rules are coming up.

Thanks for this proposal!

4 Likes

This vote is now live!

https://snapshot.org/#/gitcoindao.eth/proposal/0x0e5757ee29c29f21d9ee02990759c65faa7761f20ed84e529fa5abe0f3a1cfdf

For those delegating to me, I decided to vote for the $20k option instead of the $10k option. I did this as the $20k option gives an additional 10% in funding to the matching pool, and also likely gives a bit more room to develop cards and turn it into a viable game. I would hate to fund at the $10k mark and have this fail as they didn’t have enough funds to actually turn this into a playable and viable game.

5 Likes

Thanks for the thoughtful response Kris!

4 Likes

I’m so thankful to @Colton for the continued support of Gitcoin and public goods. You’ve found a way to continuously orbit Gitcoin with your creativity and have done a ton to continue funding public goods through your work. I’m hopeful this is a project is successful and can get into the hands of people that may not currently be on our radar.

5 Likes

I had some of Colton’s cards at the Supermodular both during EthDenver and many people had an immediate connection to the artwork and the lore. It was really fun to watch. The first question people had was were can they buy a deck and the second question was how can they play.

I could see a future where we could play the game pokemon go style when we go to a different conference.

4 Likes

I think it is a great project, but I still think Gitcoin is spending too much money on things overall, so while i think the project has legs, I have to vote no and ideally this budget could be sourced from MMM

5 Likes

@Colton has a proven track record in delivering for Gitcoin, and I believe it’s in the DAO’s best interest to continue to engage him in building out accessible, fun, and mission-driven storytelling of its “why”; there is no better person for the job. I will vote yes on this proposal.

I’ll also note that I had a chance to check out the cards IRL at ETHDenver — even the prototype looked incredibly polished & professional! Couldn’t believe it was “homemade”.

That said, a thought on the process here: I know GCPs are new territory altogether, but at first glance I’m not sure the GCP process is necessarily right for this. IMO, something of this relatively small ticket size should go through workstream budgets — likely MMM’s in this case, as @griff suggests — rather than being an independent proposal of its own. And, if the conversation was had with MMM or other workstreams and they opted not to fund it, that should be disclosed to stewards too as it’s important context in the funding decision.

5 Likes

This snapshot has closed and option 2 “YES fund expanded Alpha Set $20k” has won.

The full text for the option was: Voting “Yes” to $20k will fund 69-150 cards including 5 proposed by the Gitcoin community and 20% of primary sale profits to the Matching Pool

Metrics:
2076 unique votes
~8M GTC tokens cast.

Thank you to the author for the proposal and to all the stewards and GTC token holders who cast their vote.

3 Likes

:tada:AceTCG is Now Available! (Formerly known as Infinite Garden TCG).

I am very pleased with the art and gameplay. Check out the full announcement below for details and visuals. As promised, 20% of the Alpha Set profits will go directly to the Gitcoin Matching Pool.

I’ll be in Istanbul for the next three weeks if you want to see the cards in person :slight_smile: https://twitter.com/mettahead/status/1717622314722881932

5 Likes

Bumping an old thread.

Now the game itself has Twitter presence:

https://twitter.com/Acetcg_xyz/status/1754300466073399498

It’s amazing to see how an idea comes into fruition… :seedling:

3 Likes