[GCP-004] - PASSED - Gitcoin Citizens Round

Thank you for the proposal, Iā€™d like to support this experiment!

5 Likes

Hey there @kyle thanks for the input. The proposal has already been posted on snapshot, so following process the proposal should not be adjusted. That said, this initiative it meant to be deliberately executed with operational excellence which includes a published postmortem after each round. You can see that called out in the overview and in Milestones & Timelines as well as in the Success Measures.

As part of any standard post mortem, we should ask ā€œare we delivering on the benefitsā€? If the answer is ā€œnoā€ and if we cannot see a pathway to deliver on the promise, as Stewards of Gitcoin we then have to question if we are at risk of throwing good money after bad.

@kyle I really appreciate the push from you on this.

Every Steward should ask:

• Is there clear success criteria?
  • Do I understand and think the success criteria are important?
  • Does the plan call out progress/milestones, and will i be able to judge progress?
  • How will this project inform me if this was a good use of spend?
  • If this were my money, would I spend my money on this?

If you cannot read a proposal and feel comfortable with these components, you might think twice.

As a DAO, the more we can hold our projects, programs, and workstreams accountable to this kind of stewardship, the greater our impact will be.

6 Likes

Thanks - I didnā€™t realize it was live when posting. I am adding a link here for others to find that. It would be helpful if the post was updated when the Snapshot vote went live to help us know the ā€œstageā€ of the GCP.

I am going to abstain from the vote as I feel neutral on the proposal as is, but want to make sure it hits quorum and others can decide :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thanks Kyle! Updated the top post to include a link to the snapshot.

In addition to what Shawn mentioned, I hope this section from the post gets to a similar outcome as you mentioned earlier:

5 Likes

Had a couple more thoughts since posting my reply aboveā€¦ Still support this and feel it is def worth a tryā€¦
Other thoughts are these: For me it is the retroactive QF that stands out the most.
So, thinking that throughā€¦ and recognizing how much effort and goodwill the Gitcoin core teams put into making these rounds successful for the rest of usā€¦
What IF -
After each Core and Featured rounds, as well as the expected independently run rounds, every successful grantee paid a Retroactive Thank You into a collective Gitcoin ā€˜tip jar.ā€™
The representative ā€˜Thank Youā€™ could easily be in the form of a badge or nft or other digital asset. Which could then dually serve as a partial qualification for eligibility into the next round.
I would suggest basic perameters such as only expected from grantees who raised over 200DAI in their round. And then increase it relative to amount raised - ex. if a group raises 33KDAI then they would ā€˜tipā€™ accordingly though maybe a cap could be set.

One of the main reasons I started thinking down this path is because Quadratic Funding rounds are a huge amount of effort for the grantees as well. They can also be something of a popularity contest. After the core Gitcoin team has put so much effort into supporting the ecosystem, is it fair to ask you to ā€˜sing for your supperā€™ on top of all that?

I would frame this as a ā€˜pay it forwardā€™ sort of a structure. After all, by keeping you guys/ gals happy at Gitcoin, it ensures that this funding support machine keeps going.

Just some Xtra thoughts. Apologies for the TL;DR

8 Likes

Some small questions here. So this is not to fund any specific workgroup but individuals themselves right? And using the grants program itself to try and test it too with a relatively small amount, correct?

7 Likes

Hi thanks for engaging! This is an interesting idea and I love the mindset of pay-it-forward. I want to clarify that this QF round is not for core team efforts (which are already compensated) but the many efforts by community members who help elevate and uplift these rounds. In my opinion, the best way to show your appreciation to them is to contribute directly to the grants of the people you appreciate in the retroQF round.

6 Likes

Yes to both these questions! With this proposal, weā€™re funding community members who voluntarily make contributions that benefit Gitcoin.

6 Likes

Very interesting concept and a well developed proposal.

8 Likes

Thanks. Well that sounds rather interesting then. Love the details in the proposal and happy I understood it correctly.

I will be voting yes as I believe itā€™s a great idea to reward community members and especially via dogfooding our own product.

10 Likes

This snapshot vote has passed with ~75% approval rate.
Metrics:
2046 unique votes
~7.2M GTC tokens cast.

11 Likes

Nomination:

https://twitter.com/0xDataWolf/status/1646115894740013056

10 Likes

Pilot the Gitcoin quadratic funding rounds and allocate $95K in GTC for three rounds and staffing !

6 Likes

@Joel_m keep the good work great future and great interface

4 Likes

Weā€™ll continue to make posts about Gitcoin and weā€™ll announce them in this thread

1 Like